kites. is this the right place to post this?

zev

lumpy member
when it's to windy to fly RC and not raining, I love to go fly simple kites.

any of you guys have this as a side hobby like me? just wondering.

MrClean

I think Fun and Distractions would be the place to post. I've always found that if I had a kite in the car with intentions to fly it, there would be no wind. That works with slope planes too.

I generally fly SPADs, so wind isn't really an issue. SF 2009 was so dang windy even our heaviest planes were floating across the runway. I remember seeing planes at SF 2006 taxi backwards. I exceeded a land speed of 150 mph with one plane that was only doing about 70 on the way back up the field. MAN that was windy. If only I'd had a kite in the back. But then, if it's too windy to fly a SPAD, a kite isn't much use either.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Actually... I'm a park ranger at a beach park. I am the guy who tells people to keep off the dunes.

But in this case it appears to be a legal access.

The youtube page says it's Corn Hill Beach, Truro, MA

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Maryland. Haven't been up to the cape in almost 20 years I think. A family friend owned a home we would stay at for two weeks. Would travel all over the cape. Spent many a day at coast guard beach.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Rhinebeck? That sounds familiar for some reason. I think they have some sort of living museum there, or something...

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Elkton, right in the corner by PA and DE. I know that but when you already have a week vacation in OBX planned and payed for..... Its hard enough getting time off with the wife's and my work schedules...... The life of the emergency service shift worker

earthsciteach

I pass through Elkton on a regular basis on my way back home to slower, lower DE. Totally understand the OBX draw. Its been about 4 years since we spent a week there. Much overdue for a return trip! The most relaxing place I've ever experienced.

robschonk

Elkton, right in the corner by PA and DE. I know that but when you already have a week vacation in OBX planned and payed for..... Its hard enough getting time off with the wife's and my work schedules...... The life of the emergency service shift worker

Let me know when. I've got a cottage on Hatteras island in Avon. Maybe we can get together. You too, Earth....

robschonk

One of the best places on Earth, no doubt! You are a lucky soul, robschonk!

Also one if the windiest! Remember, Wilbur and Orville were looking for a site where the wind was strong and consistent, and the Weather Bureau recommended Kitty Hawk, about 45 miles north of me. :(

CrashRecovery

Mentor
Yea I don't think I'll be at a skill level to fly in the obx quite yet..... Now if I learned how to slope soar.......

CrashRecovery

Mentor
I think I might have gotten the ok last night to go out and play with rc planes while in obx. Robschonk ill let you know when I get closer to coming down