KK board for Knuckle Quad

skindoc

I am a COMPLETE newbie with this stuff - but I can solder.

I'm building a knuckle quad - so basically an 'X' quad. I've ordered a KK control board from HK. I'm freaking out about the issues I've been reading on the KK boards (boards burning, difficult set up) - is the documentation included with the KK board 'adequate' to set it up ? If not, is there a good step-by-step online post or video on how to set up the board. I'd love to fly to OH and sit down with the FT guys and have them walk me through it. I'll bring some great Seattle craft beers !

Perhaps I should consider another type of control board ?
Naza M Lite ?
APM?

Thanks.

SCS

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
No, the KK2 is a great first board as it's very easy to tune, once you understand the basics. I'm time crunched right now but there are a bunch of tuning videos. a google or youtube search will hit on a bunch and should be able to help.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
SD,

there are *many* kk boards, most of which have unique issues. which one are you looking at?

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
The doc for the KK2 board is in the files tab on the web page on Hobby King's site.

There are tons and tons and tons of YouTube videos on how to set one up. This one worked for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAXSBCtSLY

The KK2 is a fine board and exactly what I would recommend for a beginner. I have three of them on three different FliteTest kits including a cut down Knuckler.

When you install it, mount it on foam to mitigate vibrations from the motors hitting the sensors on the board. Some of the foam the KK2 was shipped to you in will do just fine. Double check your connections, specifically that the ESC to motor 1 is connected to M1 on the KK2 and ESC to motor 2 is connected to M2 on the KK2 etc...

When you have questions, read the posts on this forum or ask.

Welcome to Flite Test!

Last edited:

skindoc

thanks

Thanks for the advice on the KK board- everything is becoming a little clearer the more I read about the KK board - like anything in life - 'fear' is related to uncertainty, and good planning and some knowledge dispels 'fear'. You guys seems like a cool forum - much kinder than the crew on RCgroups....

SCS

The doc for the KK2 board is in the files tab on the web page on Hobby King's site.

There are tons and tons and tons of YouTube videos on how to set one up. This one worked for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NAXSBCtSLY

The KK2 is a fine board and exactly what I would recommend for a beginner. I have three of them on three different FliteTest kits including a cut down Knuckler.

When you install it, mount it on foam to mitigate vibrations from the motors hitting the sensors on the board. Some of the foam the KK2 was shipped to you in will do just fine. Double check your connections, specifically that the ESC to motor 1 is connected to M1 on the KK2 and ESC to motor 2 is connected to M2 on the KK2 etc...

When you have questions, read the posts on this forum or ask.

Welcome to Flite Test!

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
If you get the KK make sure to get a programmer for it at the same time. You WILL need it to get best performance and full features from the board.

Thurmond