KK board vs Nano QX self level

Jimmypooh

Hi all.

I've started getting into multirotors on a recommendation from the videos. I bought a Nano QX and have been loving it. I'm starting to toy with the idea of building my first tri or quad in the next few months.

I've become pretty decent at stability mode (self level) on the nano, and functional in the acro mode. I do like the ability to switch between the 2 modes.

My question is, how does the self leveling of the KK boards compare to the stability mode of the nano? I know I will have to tune the board and make sure the props are balanced. I tried to find some videos showing the leveling in action, but it looks like the KK self level was really slow to react and bring it back to level. Is that due to the setup of the board or is the self leveling of the KK boards that different than the Nano?

Thanks for the help!

Twitchity

Take a look at this video from 46min on. This is where he takes the tri out for its maiden flight and shows you auto-level and rate mode. Around 50min he comes back with new settings for auto-level and rate mode.

It appears you can adjust how fast the KK board levels itself in auto-level mode based on his video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6K4NXoq-Qk

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Jimmy, Welcome to the Forum!

The kk2's self level is a P-only gain that can be adjusted to taste, and that's pretty much what you're changing -- how strongly does it fight to keep it level vs. alow me to bring it off level to manuver.

My personal taste is the NanoQX's self-leveling is too strong, but I prefer to fly in acro in most cases anyways. One of the learning curves ahead of you is going through the tuning steps, but that's a good thing. A distinct advantage of a configurable board is you can tune it to perform as you like instead of a stock "this-should-make-most-everybody-not-unhappy", provided the board is up to the task.

BTW, look into the kk2's "++" ROM's from RC911 -- they have a "mixed self level" mode that will go full self level while the stick are near center, but as you move the stick outward the command smoothly blends to an acro's angle rate command. IMO it's far smoother than the Multiwii Horizon mode, whihc is of siilar concept. It allows you to fly semi-acro, and at any time release the sticks and she snaps back to level. you still need to hold slight pressure on the stick to hold a non-level position, but the feel while manuvering is far more like an acro mode.

helinor

BTW, look into the kk2's "++" ROM's from RC911 -- they have a "mixed self level" mode that will go full self level while the stick are near center, but as you move the stick outward the command smoothly blends to an acro's angle rate command. IMO it's far smoother than the Multiwii Horizon mode, whihc is of siilar concept. It allows you to fly semi-acro, and at any time release the sticks and she snaps back to level. you still need to hold slight pressure on the stick to hold a non-level position, but the feel while manuvering is far more like an acro mode.

I totally agree with you that the RC911 sw is great:). I use it on all my KK boards. Attached is a snap of his files. The first one is for the KK2.1/2.1.5/mini. The others are for the old KK2.0

RC911_files.jpg

Jimmypooh

This is all great information! I really appreciate it. It sounds like I'll be happy with the result since I can customize it. I'll do a bit more research on how to tweak the board or put on custom roms. Thanks for everything.

helinor

This is all great information! I really appreciate it. It sounds like I'll be happy with the result since I can customize it. I'll do a bit more research on how to tweak the board or put on custom roms. Thanks for everything.

Youtube is your friend on this;-). Just search for "flash kk2"