KK2.1.5 Firmware Post for 2015

jaskoller

I need some advice. I've been searching forums and the Internet for updated information but need some help. I'm getting ready to install my KK2.1.5 board on a fresh Tri, however, do you guys recommend flashing it to a different firmware like "Stevie's" or something else? I've read about a million different opinions but I believe most are outdated, I'm looking for some new advice. Thank you very much in advance!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I'm not familiar with KK2, but having read from other experts like CraftyDan, yes, the recommendation is to reflash with Stevies or newer firmware. Even the HobbyKing product page for the KK2 has a blurb at the bottom about how important it is to flash a newer firmware. That said, I'm not familiar with the process as I don't have one myself.

C0d3M0nk3y

Posted a thousand or more times
I've had good luck with steveis. The current version is 1.19S1.

This tutorial on how to flash the firmware is pretty good.

jaskoller

Thanks everyone. Someone had told me that the new kk2 firmware was as good as Stevies.... Not sure if that is the case or not. Does anyone know what David runs on his KK2 Boards?

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
You can't go wrong with Steveis' firmware. I use it on all three of my KK2s, and it's like night and day compared to what comes on the KK2 from Hobbyking, and most likely the other distributors. And that's just from stock settings. It can be brought to still another level with proper tweaking.

kah00na

Use the Steveis firmware! I've been using it on my mini tricopters and full size tricopters and have had excellent luck with it. If you see the Pro version and the not-Pro version, I'd suggest going with the not-Pro version. There isn't really much difference other than the Pro version gives you a lot more options which you'll probably never use unless you like doing a lot of tuning. The not-Pro version also looks very similar to the standard firmware that comes with the KK2. I think I have the latest Pro version installed because I couldn't find the other.

nlit3n

I just built a t copter with the kk2 hc and the latest steveis pro firmware and its rock solid. I followed David's KK2 setup video. With no gps it will hover hands off with very little to no wander. Everyone who has flown it loves it.

jaskoller

That's what I'm looking for!

Use the Steveis firmware! I've been using it on my mini tricopters and full size tricopters and have had excellent luck with it. If you see the Pro version and the not-Pro version, I'd suggest going with the not-Pro version. There isn't really much difference other than the Pro version gives you a lot more options which you'll probably never use unless you like doing a lot of tuning. The not-Pro version also looks very similar to the standard firmware that comes with the KK2. I think I have the latest Pro version installed because I couldn't find the other.

Great! Thank you to all who have responded with helpful info. I think I will find and flash stevies then. I'll let you know how it turns out.

earthsciteach

I second Mak's link to David's KK tutorial. I followed this with my tri and it flies gloriously! I did have to change some endstops to get it to arm, but no biggie.

Noob

Ok...kind of a dumb question...I have been reading trying to figure out the advantages to the steveis vs the stock firmware with the kk2.1. Everyone seems to say that it is night and day and so much better to use steveis. However, nobody seems to say why. I have been flying my tricopter for about a year now with a KK2.1 using the firmware that came on the board with no issues really. Why is it worth it for me to switch?

jaskoller

Good ?

Ok...kind of a dumb question...I have been reading trying to figure out the advantages to the steveis vs the stock firmware with the kk2.1. Everyone seems to say that it is night and day and so much better to use steveis. However, nobody seems to say why. I have been flying my tricopter for about a year now with a KK2.1 using the firmware that came on the board with no issues really. Why is it worth it for me to switch?

Very good question, I'm interested in this also. Anyone able to explain the differences? I think from the posts on this thread that I will flash mine to Stevies right off the bat, but I don't know why other than "they told me to"! :)

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Why don't you try it, tune it for your copter and tell us if you can feel a difference? :)

The original HK firmware has (had?) some bugs that in case they hit, would drop the copter out of the sky. I think they were mostly related to certain motor layouts - perhaps you are fine with a Tri.

Stevie's firmware has way more options to tune your copter and different code that makes the copter feel more "crisp" when flying. I didn't even try the original one, because everyone seems to be using an alternative firmware. :)

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Again, not familiar enough with it myself, but have seen enough people say you need to do it, to know what if I ever were to get a KK2, I would do it!

I saw on his blog a bunch of testimonials from users:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=367321

This post in particular:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=29107169&postcount=10

"I flashed my KK2.1.5 stock board to Steveis latest firmware V1.18S1 on stock settings and all I can say is WOW. It used to fall out of the sky and do some funny rotations and pulse the motors like crazy. Much smoother now, I will be adding my SimonK ESCs now for even better performance."

Heck, even HobbyKing's product page for KK2 says the same thing:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...ntrol_Board_With_6050MPU_And_Atmel_644PA.html
** Note: It is all ways recommended to update to the latest software version as part of your initial setup.(this is different than v1.6 for 2.0)

And in their files section, they have an older Steveis 1.17 Pro firmware for that particular model:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/1009997851X1124309X13.zip
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/1009997851X1124309X6.pdf

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Biggest issue for getting away from the stock ROM is buggy behavior.

HK took a proven board designed *for* them, and hacked it up to switch to a bigger processor and a better sensor so they could stop paying royalties . . . and botched the job. The original designer came out and (surprisingly) without malice pointed out the hardware errors in the board and issues on the ROM . . . about the time people started seeing some of the bugs arise. HK's response was to put a note on their website to reflash to their 1.6 . . . which was also crap.

All water under the bridge. The stock ROMs on HK's KK2.1.x's are their cruddy port of 1.5. Buggy, doesn't read the gyros well so it doesn't tune consistently, really doesn't handle servos well (tri's), and occasionally decides to get confused and fall out of the sky. I won't say Steveis's latest is bug free, but it is a stable ROM and flies well. The PI gains in Steveis's are better than stock and generally flyable, but an untuned board flies like crap regardless of the board/ROM.

If you want to look at the laundry-list of changes they begin on pp.30 and go on for 5 pages (PDF):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=7345654&d=1417731690

On the positive side . . . The cloned kk2.1.x boards come stock with an old version of Steveis's ROM -- most common I've seen is 1.8 IIRC. That ROM is still missing some of the nicer updates, but is far more stable and functional than HK's 1.5. For once, the clones surpass the original :p

jaskoller

Great Info

Biggest issue for getting away from the stock ROM is buggy behavior.

HK took a proven board designed *for* them, and hacked it up to switch to a bigger processor and a better sensor so they could stop paying royalties . . . and botched the job. The original designer came out and (surprisingly) without malice pointed out the hardware errors in the board and issues on the ROM . . . about the time people started seeing some of the bugs arise. HK's response was to put a note on their website to reflash to their 1.6 . . . which was also crap.

All water under the bridge. The stock ROMs on HK's KK2.1.x's are their cruddy port of 1.5. Buggy, doesn't read the gyros well so it doesn't tune consistently, really doesn't handle servos well (tri's), and occasionally decides to get confused and fall out of the sky. I won't say Steveis's latest is bug free, but it is a stable ROM and flies well. The PI gains in Steveis's are better than stock and generally flyable, but an untuned board flies like crap regardless of the board/ROM.

If you want to look at the laundry-list of changes they begin on pp.30 and go on for 5 pages (PDF):

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=7345654&d=1417731690

On the positive side . . . The cloned kk2.1.x boards come stock with an old version of Steveis's ROM -- most common I've seen is 1.8 IIRC. That ROM is still missing some of the nicer updates, but is far more stable and functional than HK's 1.5. For once, the clones surpass the original :p

As always CraftyDan you are a wealth of information. Thank you so much guys for the explanations. Hopefully this thread will help other multirotor noobies. I'm flashing Stevies tonight, and then just waiting on my motors and I'm done with this build. It has been an interesting transition from building planes (and rebuilding heli's) to build a multirotor and it has been a lot of fun. I don't think I would have started this last project without this forum or the help of you guys. Thanks again.

HawkMan

hmmm my quad flies pretty damn stable with stock values, granted I've gad temperature induced fall out of the sky behavior on it, but I doubt that would be different.

I've flashed it with the latest steveis now but haven't flown it yet, I haven't seen the option for the semi self level mode everyone brags about in steveis though...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Semi self level? You mean Mixed Self Level perhaps?

It's not in Steveis's ROMs. It's in RC911's "++" ROMs.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I thought my quad was flying pretty nice too until I started tuning the values. It does make a big difference.

I'm not sure, but I think the semi self level you are talking about is in the RC-911 firmware, not in Stevie's