kk2 camera gimbal

zev

lumpy member
fantastic! yes, could we have pictures? also I would love some specs on the hexa, flight times etc.

Anthemius

hi

oh sorry , i thought you wanted to share with us .. I'd not seen that it was advertising..;)

good luck m8

Anthemius

biggles

hi

oh sorry , i thought you wanted to share with us .. I'd not seen that it was advertising..;)

good luck m8

Anthemius

Sorry I think you've misunderstood me,what I mean is I am happy to share but all the info you will need will be in an instructional video I am still putting together for the kit. Once its done there will be enough information in the video to inspire you to build something similar

Anthemius

I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding.
you know, is sometimes difficult to really Understand what the words mean or not .., The way they are. blabla .. im sure you understand. Sorry about that :)

I'll watch your video with pleasure

Anthemius

biggles

I'm really sorry for the misunderstanding.
you know, is sometimes difficult to really Understand what the words mean or not .., The way they are. blabla .. im sure you understand. Sorry about that :)

I'll watch your video with pleasure

Anthemius

There is no need to apologise, If I could communicate in your language as well as you are communicating in mine then I would be a happy chap

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
Your website is looking better and better biggles.

Hope it's a success.

I watched your entire video. I agree with your build techniques in general, but allow me to throw a few comments your way for consideration.

- I understand your worry the motors working loose from the motor mounts, but I have never had an issue with the DT750's coming loose IF you thread-lock (blue) the screws. To me it seems an unnecessary added weight. But if you use your method, I would suggest you thread-lock the hose clamp screw.

- I would strongly suggest you cut off the excess motor shaft, leaving around 4mm above the nut(s). It will reduce the chance of bending if you land or roll upside down from a crash.

- I also secured the motor leads as you suggest. But I don't think it's necessary to completely coat all the windings. It seems to be an unnecessary insulator. I would suggest just around the location where the leads connect. I used JB Weld for it's strength under temperature. I thought about hot glue, but the windings do occasionally get very warm, so I was a bit worried the glue might soften during heavy motor load. And the complete coating of the stator windings will accelerate heating. But I must mention, there's a HUGE caveat in using JB Weld. JB Weld is magnetic. I learned this the hard way. What you MUST do if you use it is to remove the stator from the bell housing, as the housing has the neodymium magnets and the JB Weld WILL propagate towards the magnets and bridge the gap between the housing and the stator. I spent roughly 15 minutes per motor with an exacto blade chipping the away that bridge.

- Just curious, did you flash your ESCs with a modified hex such as SimonKs firmware?

- When soldering the bullet connectors, I would suggest a wooden block with holes about a centimeter deep the same diameter as the connectors so they can sit in an insulated 'container', instead of using pliers or a metal clamp. Metal grips or clamps act as a heat sink and extend the time it takes to reach a proper temp for the solder.

- I would feel uncomfortable having the batteries only secured to the craft with hot glue. But admittedly, your batteries do not hang under the craft, so I'm not entirely paranoid about your mounting method.

-Two batteries in parallel is awesome, if one is willing to accept the extra mass.

- I would suggest using a hot air gun for all heat-strink, a flame can easily melt through and eliminate the heat-shrink's purpose as an electrical barrier, but that a minor nit-pick.

-I much prefer XT60's instead of Dean's because XT60 have no exposed leads, regardless whether they are hot or not. But again, that's a minor nit-pick.

- I would STRONGLY suggest you don't file the nuts over the open bell housings. Metal filings will almost certainly find their way into the windings.

- I understand the logic of using 2 nuts for clockwise rotation, but I've yet to have an issue IF you thread lock the nut.

Again, overall congrats. Hope you sell a ton.

biggles

thanks for that cyberdactyl some good points there. I know you can thread lock the grub screws on the dt750's but it becomes a real piain to get them out if you want to change a bearing or motor. Not the most elegant solution I know but it works for me. You are right about the second nut on the props, its just a belt and braces thing really. i have lost quads to prop failures of various different kinds before and I hate it! I would sooner crash due to pilot error
anyway thanks for looking

Last edited:

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
With your quite heavy quad (wood frame, 2 batteries, larger aluminum booms, camera and gimal) I would also emphasize considering flashing your ESCs. HERE's an in-depth post from SimonK from a rather technical thread from RCG.

biggles

With your quite heavy quad (wood frame, 2 batteries, larger aluminum booms, camera and gimal) I would also emphasize considering flashing your ESCs. HERE's an in-depth post from SimonK from a rather technical thread from RCG.

Wow that is very technical. You are of course right in what you say and I'm sure you're probably much more knowledgeable about it than me. My goal was never to make a perfect flying machine and the turnigy plush ESC's work fine for my purpose,. What I would like to do is make multi rotors accessible to people who are fairly new to RC flying.
Flying multirotors is one of my favorite types of RC flying, I get such a buzz from just seeing it hover in front of me but then to be able to shoot good quality video makes it even more addictive. HERE'S some shots I have already done
I think there are plenty of people who would get the same thrill that I do, however its quite a challenge for an ordinary joe to get to grips with all the technology thats involved, thats why I wanted to try and make it as straight forward as it can be. Only time will tell if I have achieved this, I will probably be left with a garage full of hexcopter frames, but I'm willing to give it a go!

Cyberdactyl

Misfit Multirotor Monkey
My goal was never to make a perfect flying machine and the turnigy plush ESC's work fine for my purpose,. What I would like to do is make multi rotors accessible to people who are fairly new to RC flying.

And I can't argue with that as your "Skypic 6 hexcopter" video is simply outstanding. No jello. Smooth flying. Nice choice of music. You're having great success just how you're doing it, so maybe you've got a perfect recipe just as it is.