Know where your Antenna is pointing.

CRyan

So your transmitter transmission does not spread equally around your antenna. there is a dead zone at the end. Make sure you know where that dead zone is, or at least have a good idea where, so that you can avoid the following crash. This was most likely my worst FPV crash... normally I am at least right side up the whole way down....
https://youtu.be/bAbVPhsq4qk

On that note, do most people have their antennas facing down, or 90 degrees to the left/right? Which gives you better/more reliable coverage, I have seen both ways, and those people who just don't notice.
Thanks.

tamuct01

You can picture the radio transmission emanating in a "donut" pattern around the antenna. The lowest radiation points are at the base and tip of the antenna. For me, the antenna of my radio won't point down, so I typically have it 90" to the left or right. This should provide a pretty even pattern in front of me no matter the altitude.

All this being said, I have 2 FrSky receivers with telemetry. The X8R with the PCB antennas never gives me any problems. However, I have an issue with my X6R receiver with the regular wire antennas. Periodically in flight I get a "RSSI low/critical" from my Taranis. I've not yet been able to determine the cause. The receiver antennas are oriented 90 deg. from each other, and I still get the call out warnings. I'm thinking about replacing it with another X8R.

Jugsy

What transmitter and receiver were you using? I'm yet to experience this issue. I fly with my transmitter (DX8 G2, so not adjustable) on a neck strap so my antenna is usually horizontal or even pointing slightly downwards.

CRyan

I am using the tynergy 9xr with the FrSky Module. I was using the V8R7-II Receiver. This is the first time I have lost signal with clear line of sight to my transmitter. You can see me and my buddy sitting at the front of the white car in the video, so... yeah, signal loss surprised me.

The only other time I lost signal, I was trying to transmit through 2 cars, so I am not surprised at that one... my own stupidity really. I got overconfident, I have a new 600 mw transmitter for my video, so was getting clearer video at a longer range the I have before....

elw773

My antenna can't bend but as long as I hold it horizontally (I pinch) and I fly above myself, there are no issues. The problem comes in when I'm doing precision 3d in front of me with a nano and it fail safes into my face. I'm guessing 90 degrees to either side would work unless you fly straight out to your side (both the top and the bottom have dead zones on linear and circular polarised).

Last edited: