Knuckle H-quad kk2.1 tips???

lasse_2409

Hi
Im building a Knuckle H-quad, this is my first aircraft build. I am still waiting for my esc's and motors to come in the mail. The only thing i have doubts about is what configuration i need to chose on my kk2.1 board (X, H6, H4???). I also don't know what settings i need for roll/pitch, yaw, etc... Im new to the flying part of the hobby so please bare with me.:rolleyes: Pleas help.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Lasse,

Welcome to the forum! You're not alone here -- there are plenty of folks here who will be happy to lend a hand :)

The H-copters are in a Quad-X configuration -- draw an imaginary line between the control board and the motors, and the shape you get determines the layout. In the end, the board can't see the frame and doesn't really care, so long as it's told where the motors are relative to itself.

As for the gain settings, that depends a lot on the motors, ESCs, props, and the the physical geometry, so it's best to tune that once you've gotten it all together.

One thing that will help you right away is to re-flash the board. the stock ROM on the kk2.x boards will function well enough to test the hardware and and get airborne, but I wouldn't trust it, and the latest ROMs from Steveis are very good. You'll need a USBASP programmer (HK sells one, but it's a common electronics tool -- you might get it from a local online vendor quicker), and LazyZero's "KKmulticopter Flash Tool". When you get ready for that, I'm sure you can get help with any details you have trouble with.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
hmmm . . . good question Balu. I don't recall seeing an H4, but don't doubt it exists.

The motor layout sets the graphic and pre-loads the mixer settings (you could load a Tri motor layout, then manually edit the mixer to the quad-X settings, if you wanted to make the picture mismatch the actual setup). It would take a careful inspection, but I imagine it's similar or identical to the quad-X, with a different picture. It *could* be setup for the motors to be more narrow left/right, but that would be very custom to the airframe, and a pre-loaded setup out of square doesn't make sense, at least to me.

lasse_2409

First of all, thanks for your replies Craftydan, Cranialrectosis, Balu and Cyberdactyl, I will probably start of with the stock firmware and learn to fly:). I have been into rc cars for a few years now and, I stumbled across Flitetest a few months ago, and immediately fell in love with the rotor bone series. A little later i started building the H-quad frame, "after" building the frame i tried to buy the electronics from hobbyking but my order got canceled, i was never told though. So i had to go through a hole lot of calling and e-mailing paypal and hobbyking to get a refund. This experience put me a little off of finishing the build. Now i found the frame again and decided to finish it no matter what. I bought a ton of electronics and they are on their way, i only had that one question. I researched a lot but had no success, then i just decided to posted a thread on the forum. Thanks again.