Kobold (FT Goblin with a Tail) 100% and 140% Build Plans

Kobold (FT Goblin with a Tail)
Flight Videos:
-Kobold Flight Video (Very windy day, it's worth a watch to see the Kobold almost take a swim around 1:20)
-Kobold Flight Video 2 (Another very windy day, but more consistent wind so the Kobold flies much smoother)
-Kobold 140% Flight Video

Build Plans:

e1ySxZDZ_CJlozwZmuWacRS4-j3a-wmXI83bVlu-BT7jy3abRv_MocKj0u_Ky_Q3yiX4D2D_38WB1iaqrtBAj1Ozo7Xpw7k9v0MltMBJlrp_wS83Kt2KUXYc7yKgPTj0WhUsfZwN

Wingspan: 30 inches
Length: 28 inches

The Kobald is simply an FT Goblin with the fuselage extended 9 inches out to allow room for a Conventional Tail or a V-Tail. To build the Kobold, download and build the normal Goblin plans. When building, use the External Fuselage and Fuselage Bottom from my plans linked below. Once you build the modified version of the external fuselage and fuselage bottom you can choose what type of tail you’d like. You can use the conventional style tail (FT Tiny Trainer Vertical and Horizontal Stabilizers) or go with the V-Tail (FT Sparrow V-Tail). You will need to cut the top of the fuselage to make room for whatever type of tail you choose. When test flying I have used the stock CG from the Goblin and it flies great. I was able to get the CG right with a 4s 1300mah battery as far forward as possible in the fuselage. In the model shown above, I mounted the servo internally with just the control horn sticking out. This works fine and looks good, but you could just mount the servo on the top or side for easier access and adjustments.
On my build, I used two 1507 Motors and 3D Printed Mounts. The motors are each 2 ¾ inches from the fuselage to the center of the motor, which allows room for 4-inch prop clearance. If you wanted to run bigger motors with bigger props, just move the motors out a bit more.
Motor Mounts from above. I used the lines on the plans for the servos to align the motors. (Excuse the nose damage. The plane got away from me in the wind and I haven’t had time to build another nose)
ffphl3eH2mwrFk6ydFrEgVSFSwKpu_Y6nS9agfpDCx7i8tmWAblPFY6xWFwAy4z_hqDXwJdYtpyp5dgozsULoqHxviP44GT8yQCmU6pk1_z0c8g_q-yuW061bspAm1ABatrwCY9V

Pic of the Motor Mounts. The two 30amp ESC are wired to a power distribution board with bec inside the fuselage.
dlkN2-3uyf5oF2CjE93kryEP22MW9Wnr1s2it3iNQYgkzkY9m5UTFgIeRV2uUlRDVWBt7qpWJgb9M8cuUSEZxMaQvjMSnHPz5tA7N9Kz8_N_XMh4_9kyHEcuseDh34beqdzAh97m

Battery Placement
a1vfwAnD4qW-96sYA_RkgRZiLXg8wbeXqYW63peAdyJTLbbF-2aHCMqrz1BpPXPQWt8Zl30oIET2ko-i_D10oQtqtRYZJURVev6ErSlYcPC8oTx7xpKDdj-UniCG49nV88lsDjLn

V-Tail Prototype
p684rCTw72LKUoqUPesL_FFojeHT4MOJkCPkXOUdBb81TAXVCe7JIjGlamaacGNSeFsg-6MrUkndTcYaYxNCIJPyvJU6Clua8J7rslqJ-iDuQHS8FXTyaCSRT2fcjITAziiv1Qum

Kobold 140%
Length: 35.5 inches
Wingspan: 41 inches

1649692915946.jpg

ssYxD_CLal2kpyELrRUPTmqtid8uszCRGNfZRcsVf8UVxt2Al-BVvXhhiP8HD3HtF556ngarzlUNDkpToXWonYojeWKJgIK8Fn6w7imkJxFhkFT9xIKcOIajjs2YXw2O-UOgNrmD

The Kobold 140 builds exactly the same as the 100% version. The only thing to note when building is that the plans are scaled up to 140%, so this means that the cutouts for the A folds and B folds are larger than they need to be. This wasn’t an issue for me when building, I just took extra time to ensure all of the A and B Folds had an adequate amount of glue and were properly aligned and all was good. The maiden on the 140% went great. It needed a 3600 4s battery to hit the stock cg markings and it flew great. You could also use a smaller battery and add your fpv gear up front.

Note: I have not built the V-tailed version of the 140% yet. Until I build one, I'd assume it would be fine since the 100% version worked, but haven't confirmed this.

Note: The 140% wings do not fully fit on DTFB. I cut it out as shown in this pic
0IDMcKuh9Ht3KDenALNRAx6cZqoe1j6Y6-nUQTbmIZb5nroQjPNuiwzgLNd-5o_DFEL8aAIoQXMW2V7_7uhaIX7cQCjV05RlI2Qom5A-ZLsH5xHVQ56D4m_foCou-ZkaHoq1eQw8

another option.... haven't put electronics in this version yet but will update the article with I do.
1649692681126.jpg

Last edited:

SSgt Duramax

Nice! I love this little plane and this is a cool modification too. I bet the 140% one with those motors is going to absolutely scoot, whether it is on 3s or 4s, and be pretty miserly with the energy usage too. You'll probably be able to cruise around a 25-30% power no problem. Did you have any adverse banking with the V-tail? I have a theory that dihedral offsets that a decent bit. Of course you can just use differential thrust and not worry about rudder action.

You made me realize now that I need to design 3D printed motor mounts for my design now. Know what I am doing this evening!

Edit, I bet if you scaled the chord of the wing down a touch, the plane would still fly great and it would fit on one sheet. Also if you were worried about lost lift, you could extend the wing a touch.

Nice! I love this little plane and this is a cool modification too. I bet the 140% one with those motors is going to absolutely scoot, whether it is on 3s or 4s, and be pretty miserly with the energy usage too. You'll probably be able to cruise around a 25-30% power no problem. Did you have any adverse banking with the V-tail? I have a theory that dihedral offsets that a decent bit. Of course you can just use differential thrust and not worry about rudder action.

You made me realize now that I need to design 3D printed motor mounts for my design now. Know what I am doing this evening!

Edit, I bet if you scaled the chord of the wing down a touch, the plane would still fly great and it would fit on one sheet. Also if you were worried about lost lift, you could extend the wing a touch.

I haven't flown the version with the V-Tail yet so I'm not sure about the adverse banking issue. The 3D printed motor mounts are holding up really well, I def recommend them! If someone wants to build one and doesn't have a 3D printer I'd' think the nacelles and motor pods from the Superbee would be a good alternative. Also great idea on scaling down the wing to fit on one sheet of DTFB. I may mess around with different % scaled plans and wing lengths. I'll keep the thread updated with any different Kobold builds I come up with! Please update the thread if you build one and let us know how it goes!

SSgt Duramax

I haven't flown the version with the V-Tail yet so I'm not sure about the adverse banking issue. The 3D printed motor mounts are holding up really well, I def recommend them! If someone wants to build one and doesn't have a 3D printer I'd' think the nacelles and motor pods from the Superbee would be a good alternative. Also great idea on scaling down the wing to fit on one sheet of DTFB. I may mess around with different % scaled plans and wing lengths. I'll keep the thread updated with any different Kobold builds I come up with! Please update the thread if you build one and let us know how it goes!
My thought process was that if you decrease the chord and increase the length, you should get the same lift and a lower aspect ratio. You would probably pick up a little efficiency and gliding ability at the expense of some speed and roll authority.

BorisTheSpider

Brother, it was so cool to meet up with you at Wings Over Edgewater! Funny enough, I forgot that I had seen this thread before, and didn't realize you were the OP. Hoping you can make it to Flite Fest as well!

So which version do you prefer? Single or twin? Vtail or"standard"?

BorisTheSpider

Another remix of the FT Goblin. This uses the Extended Goblin Fuselage and the wings are extended to 20inches for each wing half or a total of 40inch wingspan. I will update once I maiden!
View attachment 226155 View attachment 226156
This one doesn't have any problems getting enough nose weight? I started building one at 100% with a longer tail and was going to make it a pusher. I think I'll have to run a lot of weight up front and it'll get really heavy really quick.

After seeing yours fly at Edgewater, I think I'm going to make a couple variations - one for more gentle flying and one for combat.

BorisTheSpider

For the 140% wings, you could split it at the leading edge and keep an extra inch or so of paper on one side. Glue and/or tape the paper down and build as normal. If you glued it, I would think something other than hot glue would be preferredbecause it tends to cure really fast when you try to do that type of thing in my experience. But something like spray adhesive would work really well for it. if you wanted a little more rigidity, you could even leave a gap for something like an arrow shaft to be put in right there -- it would take a little testing to get the gap and fold right though.