Kraken Build with retracts and swappable cargo pod

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
So it all started with a slightly drink-induced order for the Kraken speed build kit.

Having built the Mini Guinea and tinkered with various models I thought "that'll be cool to build" and also the largest plan in my hangar. It's taken a while to complete the build, mainly due to my penchant for mods.

I had seen video footage of the Flite Test team Kraken with bomb bay,so that was always going to be part of the plan. Retractable mains seemed like a sensible option along with LED lights. You know how it goes......

First up, LEDs. HK multi-colour LED strips were the plan, along with additional red/port and green/stbd marker lights on an extension of the stock wing spar:
IMG_20150307_181243604.jpg

A first look at the spaghetti junction of wiring that would need to be routed after the wing is built:
IMG_20150318_103749645.jpg

Figuring out the retractable landing gear whilst retaining the option to revert to stock if it all falls apart:
IMG_20150318_174219415.jpg

The retract mount consists of a sandwich of two ply plates inside and outside the foam:
IMG_20150318_175811538.jpg

The rest of the build went pretty much to plan to get to the complete wing. Jeepers it's big!:
IMG_20150319_164926887_HDR.jpg

More to follow. The build is pretty much complete at this stage but i have a Dark and Stormy waiting for me upstairs!

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Looks Great!

I hope you have great results first try. It has been a long process for me to get my nose gear right.
What is the PN/MFG of the retracts? I like them!

What will swinging the gears aft do to your cg? it will probably not be a big deal if you use foam wheels.

Justin

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
Thanks Maingear.

The retracts were from Motion RC, part numbers E812L and E812R, 90deg rotating retracts. I have a video somewhere but, essentially, the wheels are rotated to sit more flush with the lower wing surface. You can see the results in one of the photos below.

Half battery bay test fit:
IMG_20150405_162837135.jpg

Partially built avionics and battery bays (both sides):
IMG_20150407_173319421.jpg

Completed avionics/battery bay test fit:
IMG_20150407_175417256.jpg

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
Main build complete. I've used the stock main gear wire to install wheeled outriggers:
IMG_20150409_185854206_HDR.jpg

Ventral colour scheme developing nicely. The black/orange stripe along the centerline has been extended to the trailing edge. Battery bay doors are blue like the 'avionics' hatch:
IMG_20150410_132211493_HDR.jpg

And the wing stripes are extended through the elevons:
IMG_20150410_172408288_HDR.jpg

Dorsal view:
IMG_20150411_204310893_HDR.jpg

Lit up ready for dusk flying:
IMG_20150411_204758085.jpg

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
Here's the beginnings of the bomb bay pod. I'm still working on the actuator rod throws and servo location as one of the doors won't close properly.

I'm hoping that, with a little bracing for rigidity, the doors should hold a reasonable weight (soda can) as the servo arms will 'overlock' in the vertical position which should offload most of the weight from the servo motors and gears.

IMG_20150415_101253990_HDR_sml.jpg

The bay has a tongue that slots into the forward 'avionics' bay and is held in place at the rear by a BBQ skewer through the ends of the battery bays.

Other pods on the planning list:

FPV pod (or maybe just for a second person to view in flight)
Camera pod (with steerable camera)
Pun Jet release
Glider tow (wondering if the Kraken will nicely tow a PZ Ka-8)

Last edited:

Jbird

What ever happened to this build? I have started to build my own kraken and love some of the mods you have done. how do you make the pods swapable? Its killing me not knowing more!!

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
What ever happened to this build? I have started to build my own kraken and love some of the mods you have done. how do you make the pods swapable? Its killing me not knowing more!!

Alas, the Kraken died. A couple of crashes and one wing warped and the landing gear mounts got all messed up.

I did save the bomb bay pod though. It went between the two longitudinal pods with a 'tongue' on the forward end that slotted into a gap in the nose bay. Secured with two lateral BBQ skewers. I'll have a dig around for some photos or get some next time I'm home.

kilroy07

Legendary member
It's funny you know... I JUST started my Kraken build yesterday and I wondered, what have others done to modify it and I run across this!!

Very Cool man, great (or warped) minds must think alike 'cause I was thinking retracts as well (and I saw the bomb pod mentioned in the paint splash video, but never again.... Did you happen to draw yours in CAD (plans?)

This will be my first Kraken build, but NOT my last as I have some pretty sweet plans in mind for next year....

TimOD

Love it, I'm also doing a kraken build with retracts but I'm setting it up for long range fpv. Hoping to toss it off mountains and soar around.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Thus far I have a couple sets onhand but nothing has flown yet.... (Slowly chipping away at my build list backlog...) :rolleyes:

The ones I've purchased were from Aliexpress, I've played around with them (they cycle just fine) but as I said, none have made it into a build yet. Sorry that probably isn't much help.