Kraken - BUILD

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin

The day is here! We finally have the plans available for the Kraken.

FREE PLANS

SUPPLEMENTAL VIDEOS

kraken-build-1-png_1402514781.jpg

kraken-build-2-png_1402514788.jpg

This kit is so big that it wouldn't even fit in one screenshot. The Speed Build Kit will be available sometime early August.
Also, keep your eyes open for tons of cool accessories incoming!

kraken-build-4-png_1402514808.jpg

kraken-build-5-png_1402514816.jpg

kraken-build-7-png_1402514831.jpg

kraken-build-9-png_1402514851.jpg

kraken-build-10-png_1402514857.jpg

kraken-build-13-png_1402514878.jpg

kraken-build-14-png_1402514886.jpg

kraken-build-18-png_1402514913.jpg

Measurements for landing gear wire
18" long x 1/8" thick (45cm long x 3.18mm thick)
Bends are 2" (5cm) and 6" (16cm)
Links for tires incoming!

kraken-build-19-png_1402514920.jpg

kraken-build-20-png_1402514929.jpg

kraken-build-21-png_1402514935.jpg

A big ol' wing needs a big ol' battery!
We've been using this 6000MAh made by Gens ace. This can get you close to a half-hour of flight time and is impressively light for its size.

kraken-build-23-png_1402514949.jpg

kraken-build-25-png_1402514952.jpg

kraken-build-26-png_1402514961.jpg

kraken-build-27-png_1402514966.jpg

kraken-build-28-png_1402514970.jpg

kraken-build-29-png_1402514979.jpg

RECOMMENDED ELECTRONICS

• Motor: 2x Suppo 2217/7 1250kv Brushless Outrunner
  • ESC: 2x Suppo 30A Brushless ESC
  • Servo: 2x GS-9025MG Micro Analog 11g Metal-Gear
  • Prop: 2x APC 10x4.7 Slow-Fly
  • Battery: 2200 - 6000 mAH 3s
  • 4x 12" Servo Extensions

FREE PLANS

Hope you all have as much fun with this plane as we do! Go crazy! See what kind of trouble you can get this monster into. Post some photos or videos below!

DDSFlyer

The day has finally come! Thank you for all the hard work it took to finally get this plane out there!!!

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
I broke down the pieces into their own sheets of 20x30in or less so each section will fit on one sheet of DTFB. I also removed the duplicate pieces so you'll need to flip some of the templates over for the second piece.

Condensed plans

Last edited:

Foam Addict

Squirrel member
"Just demonstrating a different building technique...so your plane isn't covered in blood later."
HAHAHA! I love that line, but they don't seem to fly right without the blood.:rolleyes:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
"Just demonstrating a different building technique...so your plane isn't covered in blood later."
HAHAHA! I love that line, but they don't seem to fly right without the blood.:rolleyes:

Mine fly fine without a sprikling of my blood . . . but I think I'm making up for with hot glue and solder burns :p

that is exactly what I did (180%)for my build and it turned out great!!!
7 feet wingspan!
you will love it,just use the new cg on the blunt nose.
they should have shown this but you will have to put a couple arrow shafts for span strength and shoot the joining seams with spray foam and let it cure for a week before loading.i used the original v-wing spars at 180% and they work as well as the "box spar"in the build video as I built this a couple months ago.i got tired of waiting for the plans!
you will love the glide ratio.
I also recommend larger winglet plates for a more stable flight.

kendrick57

Hi
For anyone out there with access to a large format printer size A1 or bigger I have reworked the plans onto A1 sheets, no sheet joining required, I have done a test print and they work.
I just need to make a few tweets and it will be ready for publication. The easy print large page plans should be ready in about a day.
Kendrick

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
that is exactly what I did (180%)for my build and it turned out great!!!
7 feet wingspan!
you will love it,just use the new cg on the blunt nose.
they should have shown this but you will have to put a couple arrow shafts for span strength and shoot the joining seams with spray foam and let it cure for a week before loading.i used the original v-wing spars at 180% and they work as well as the "box spar"in the build video as I built this a couple months ago.i got tired of waiting for the plans!
you will love the glide ratio.
I also recommend larger winglet plates for a more stable flight.

So I've got to ask, how many sheets of dtfb in total now?

BTW welcome the family!

Before I go raid my local hobby shop.... I mean dollar tree. Has anyone figured out a way to do differential thrust on the DX6i, I am tried everything from the simple Rudder>throttle mix to everything short of buying a external mixer. I really would love to confirm this is possible before I spend to much money.

Possible Kraken ideas-
- Night flyer (already have a Blunt nose versa and a champ doing that)
- Day flyer (have to many of those)
- Going autonomous

The Kraken seems like a great experimental platform for autonomous flight. Long flight time, lots of room to put things, stable and a bomb bay to get creative with.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I'm not sure it is possible on the 6, it might be possible on the 8 or 9 but I find the programming flexibility is pretty limited on the lower end of the Spektrum! (see what I did there?) :D