Kraken - BUILD

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
Good to know it can be done! I just wish the big guys would wise up and add a bit more flexibility in the firmware so if you want more programming options, you can have them without having to buy a DX18...ok, rant off. Go get em Dreamz!

Just for the record; on my Ptero with a 6 channel Rx, and nothing but radio, I have differential thrust, flaperons with incremental control, and V-tail mixing(ruddervators) and I can turn them all on or off in flight. Try that with a Fut or Spek without spending a grand on the radio... :D

Last edited:

muidaq

Anyone else building one? I have the foam cut and have all 6 "boxes" glued up. Had to break to assemble my new bigger workbench.

diyman

I have just started mine and have decided to make a few changes.I am going to add a rudder or two and it will have a pusher motor i have got a tacon bigfoot 60 and a hobbywing 80 amp esc im going to have to upgrade the landing gear and go with a 12 or 13 inch prop i am not sure yet will see after the thrust test im hoping for 100+ oz.s

Kurt0326

Your ADD Care Bear
Mentor
I have just started mine and have decided to make a few changes.I am going to add a rudder or two and it will have a pusher motor i have got a tacon bigfoot 60 and a hobbywing 80 amp esc im going to have to upgrade the landing gear and go with a 12 or 13 inch prop i am not sure yet will see after the thrust test im hoping for 100+ oz.s

I think you were asking about this rudder idea before, I can't remember. But try it let us know what you find out. I am willing to bet it won't do much because there isn't enough leverage from the center of the wing. The rudder is more effective the further aft from the CG. Like a crank, it's much easier turn a crank the longer the crank is.

lazyb4

Pusher?

I would like to know about a Kraken with a single pusher also. What size would it require, and so on. :cool:

I'd like to see if the quick build kits are still going to be offered, they said early August, and I was going to put a kraken and the gear for it in the basket and tell my wife that's what she got me for my birthday.

Just ordered parts for my Blunt Nose Kraken

2x Turnigy G15 950kv
2x Turnigy AE-45A Brushless ESC
2x Turnigy TGY-9025MG
2x Servoless Retract with Metal Trunnion 44mm x 41mm
2x Alloy Oleo Strut 169mm Straight Mains for 60~120 Class
1x Dr. Mad Thrust Smart Controller for Electric Retract
1x OrangeRx R100 DSM2 Compatible Satellite Receiver
1x OrangeRx R620 DSM2 Compatible Full Range 6Ch
1x Vtail Mixer
1x LED RGB Multi-Function Driver/Controller
22 Feet of RGB LED tape/strips

Option I am debating on
APM 2.6 with airspeed and 915Mhz Telemetry

Its going to be multi-roll machine, the blunt nose part is going to be interchangeable to support nightflying, dropping of objects, FPV, and autopilot.

Deanwvu

Those of you who are building or have built the Kraken... What do you use for a landing gear wheel?

Josh claimed that a link was incoming for the wheels they used for the build, but I cannot find it.

Thanks

NAVET97

I broke down the pieces into their own sheets of 20x30in or less so each section will fit on one sheet of DTFB. I also removed the duplicate pieces so you'll need to flip some of the templates over for the second piece.

Condensed plans

Thank you! So I can take this to Staples and have them print all of the PDF files and that's the whole plane?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Thank you! So I can take this to Staples and have them print all of the PDF files and that's the whole plane?

Yes, but keep in mind these are templates -- you'll need to make two of each piece when you build.

That's not a huge deal, but it will mean you need to be careful enough with them to reuse them at least once, and almost every piece will need to have one of the two laid out mirrored of the other.

monterx7

Just ordered parts for my Blunt Nose Kraken

2x Turnigy G15 950kv
2x Turnigy AE-45A Brushless ESC
2x Turnigy TGY-9025MG
2x Servoless Retract with Metal Trunnion 44mm x 41mm
2x Alloy Oleo Strut 169mm Straight Mains for 60~120 Class
1x Dr. Mad Thrust Smart Controller for Electric Retract
1x OrangeRx R100 DSM2 Compatible Satellite Receiver
1x OrangeRx R620 DSM2 Compatible Full Range 6Ch
1x Vtail Mixer
1x LED RGB Multi-Function Driver/Controller
22 Feet of RGB LED tape/strips

Option I am debating on
APM 2.6 with airspeed and 915Mhz Telemetry

Its going to be multi-roll machine, the blunt nose part is going to be interchangeable to support nightflying, dropping of objects, FPV, and autopilot.

any update on this build? please say there is :)

Maingear

Flugzeug Liebhaber
Those are the same wheels I use. I'm on my sixth kraken mod and they have worked perfectly.

I used too small of a wire once and didn't get the up deflection in a dive. The original FT control horns are almost too small for this application.

Did anyone have the inboard box spar tabs come out too short? This happened when I used the tiled plans. Easy to see if you lay the spar plans over the bottom template. I didn't catch it until I cut everything out. The spars have never fail no mater the abuse I subjected them to.

Justin

Last edited:

WoodyInMD

Fly My Pretty, Fly!
Hi all,

I'm part way through a Kraken build but found these parts. No idea what they are for. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Woody

2015-03-18 20.50.27sml.jpg