Kylin FPV Goggles - Replacement 1S 2000+ mah battery?

Duck

I took FT's recommendation and bought the Kylin FPV goggles. They are OK. So far the biggest downside is the short battery life. They barely last a single session at the field. The one time I forgot to charge beforehand, I had to replace the nose on my Bloody Baron when my goggles turned off on me mid flight. Where can I buy replacement 1S JST batteries >=2000 mah? I saw that bangood was selling them at one point but I don't like buying from them and the page for them now seems defunct. I saw a couple sites selling raw cells but I really don't want to risk explosions on my face. Just not worth it. Am I going to have to buy 4x 500mah cells and wire them in parallel? I am actually OK if it doesn't fit in the thin slot in the goggles itself, I can run a wire. I was just hoping for a more off the shelf solution.

Duck

So it finally happened. I went to use my goggles last weekend and they didn't turn on. I opened the battery hatch and the battery was puffy. It looks like Amazon has an identical looking battery: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073PPWRLR/?tag=lstir-20 The only indication it is the same is it looks identical but that doesn't garuntee much. One reviewer reported it does fit the Kylin goggles.

I would love to replace it with something more reliable. Ideally something li-ion with a built in low-voltage cutoff to avoid a potential fire.

It might be time to just buy some nicer goggles.

Last edited:

evranch

If you want totally foolproof, buy a quality 18650 with a built-in protection circuit on the anode. These protect against short circuit, overcharge and overdischarge. I like them for flashlights because you can abuse them without worrying about damaging your batteries.

Watch out for fake 18650s on the internet, the max capacity of these cells is 3000-3400mAh and if you see a higher number advertised, run the other way.

FDS

Elite member
If you want really good cells the Sanyo tool grade Lithi ion are really great quality cells. You could also reconfigure a 2 cell holder to do 1s 2p with the two matched cells in that wired in parallel to increase your capacity, you might just have to reverse one battery tray spring.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
If you want really good cells the Sanyo tool grade Lithi ion are really great quality cells. You could also reconfigure a 2 cell holder to do 1s 2p with the two matched cells in that wired in parallel to increase your capacity, you might just have to reverse one battery tray spring.

Samsung and Panasonic also make really good cells. I vape like a fiend, so I have an appreciation for quality... Don't want them venting in my face ;) The draw from goggles is so minimal though, I don't have a problem using cheapo cells in mine. Most of the mid-grade stuff out there is made by Samsung/Panasonic/Sanyo and didn't pass QC. B - grade performance, but still as safe as the good stuff.

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
The stuff to watch out for is recovered laptop cells from old machines that get re wrapped and sold on.
Agreed the current draw on goggles is hardly going to trouble them, even protected Trustfires would likely be fine.

Captain Video

I have a set of FXT Viper V2 which work great for me as I have glasses. I can use any of my planes batteries as it has xt60 connector.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I have a set of FXT Viper V2 which work great for me as I have glasses. I can use any of my planes batteries as it has xt60 connector.

Be careful doing that - most goggles only want 2-3s voltage at max. More than that and you might damage the electronics. Buddy of mine fried his Quanum Cyclops when he pumped a 4s battery through his goggles.

Nowadays, most of us buy one of these and combine it with quality 18650 battery cells:
3A54D71B-6486-41B0-BE7D-A0C278DF39C6.jpeg

It holds charge better than the Fatshark batteries, doesn’t require dangerous soldering of battery cells that could potentially blow up on you, and you can easily swap out to another set of 18650 batteries at the field if the batteries go dead (which is RARE; I’ve flown off and on for 4 hours on some 2800 mAh cells in my goggles and the charge barely dropped).

They normally run about $20 and do NOT come with the 18650 cells, but the pack has circuitry to tell you how much of a charge you have left on the batteries, which I really like. Are there cheaper options? Sure. Tattu makes a battery with the barrel connectors that’s cheaper, and HobbyKing has something that works, but every time I’ve looked the batteries are out of stock or on back order. At least with this I can walk into pretty much any vape store and pick up a set of batteries that will work.

Linacruise1467

I also bought this googles last year from the Ski Bum coupon codes at Reecoupons and it's still quite working well, in my opinion, its depend on the quality of stuff that how long it will work and how much it's protected, anyways, I suggest you change a battery and protect yourself from any danger.