L-39 50mm EDF

L-39 50mm EDF 2.1

Please log in to download

tomlogan1

are you printing with any ink / toner save turned on? and what about color?

I print a lot school work for the grandkids (homeschooling) and have grayscale and ink saver turned on and that can mess up some types / styles of printing.

Thanks for the response, but sorrowfully it is not the silver bullet. Printing in color with no ink saving.

Intashu

Elite member
Having built two of these, both of them posted in this thread, I can guarantee you that a 68mm EDF(is there such a size?)will not fit in this. the fuse isn't even that wide. Don't comment on things you don't know or aren't sure of.
I mean... you CAN, but not "as-is". I know this because I'm building one right now with a 64mm EDF.

You gotta scale it up to 128% (for a 64mm EDF*) first. ;) I haven't shared any pictures yet however, as it's unpainted and needs a canopy still.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I mean... you CAN, but not "as-is". I know this because I'm building one right now with a 64mm EDF.

You gotta scale it up to 128% (for a 64mm EDF*) first. ;) I haven't shared any pictures yet however, as it's unpainted and needs a canopy still.
Ok cool👍.it's a beautiful plane so I want one 😂..
Just curious as to what the flight skills required are? I'm guessing it's really fast.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Here was my maiden/crash , it starts around the 10 minute mark of the video. You tell me if its fast, LOL! yep it's plenty fast , pretty good flyer, my second one is still intact after 3 flights.

Michael9865

Elite member
Here was my maiden/crash , it starts around the 10 minute mark of the video. You tell me if its fast, LOL! yep it's plenty fast , pretty good flyer, my second one is still intact after 3 flights.

So what happened that caused you not to continue that day flying your L-39?

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
So what happened that caused you not to continue that day flying your L-39?
The ESC disconnected and was not able to reconnect at the field , the connection is behind a former. And the fuse separated at the top. The key to that plane is expo and dialing back the throws on the control surfaces.

Intashu

Elite member
I am almost convinced my 50mm EDF motor that I bought is crap. I went with one off amazon and while it worked, it really felt lacking in power, even on 4s. I've had it in three planes now, and all three flew, but needed max throttle to do it, and really struggled to gain airspeed if they lost it. It currently is retired in my starscream F-22 (my user photo) which had a new but still unpainted front end on it. and basically is now a shelf decoration.

I had more luck in my F-22 than the L-39 but that may be because it's a broader winged plane so it glides better.

The L39 is a fast plane, no doubt, and you absolutely need to be careful with your inputs when you go quick. It lacks a rudder so it's a bank and yank and since there's no prop wash over the controls you need to remember to actually keep the speed up or you'll lose control. and stalling in a turn is what totaled mine. I'm hoping going up in size and adding some under-cambered wing tips will help with the power to weight ratio a little bit too.

I really liked it, which is why I'm trying it again up-scaled. I suggest you add some support for the battery along the nose section, I put a paint stick in mine, otherwise the battery weight will be more likely to rip the whole front off in a hard landing. and be prepared to re-build the nose a few times. I have yet to fly a EDF and NOT need to rebuild the front section at least once!

lastly, it really does need a good launch to fly, it won't really gain altitude till it first gains speed, and it wants to stall if you don't give'm a good throw! most of my prop planes just take a gentle toss but I found my first L39 really needed oomph in the toss to get it moving... otherwise it just stalled into the ground (like a glide) before getting enough speed to pull up.

Last edited:

Intashu

Elite member
I'm all in on a 64mm design. Convinced my 50mm motors were the issue, more bigger must mean more better right?!

Hopefully will maiden soon!

Attachments

• 20220815_214545.jpg
    20220815_214545.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 0

RKB

I am wanting to laser cut these plans but when I import them into my laser software it appears to be an image and none of the lines show up. I have cut many other PDF plans with no problems. Is there a solution for this? Thanks

Last edited:

luvmy40

Elite member
I am wanting to laser cut these plans but when I import them into my laser software it appears to be an image and none of the lines show up. I have cut many other PDF plans with no problems. Is there a solution for this? Thanks
What software are you using to generate the GRBL file?

RKB

I really want to build this plane but I cannot get the files to work with my laser cutter. I am using Lightburn software and it has worked well with other downloaded plane files, including the Grunjet. Thanks