Laines Planes 26" Balsa Cuda Build Thread

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
** hmmm ... why did google return results for 'week long angry drunken bender eyes' instead? **

:p

Turbojoe

Elite member
** hmmm ... why did google return results for 'week long angry drunken bender eyes' instead? **

:p

Those were MY eyes! :rolleyes:

Try these...........

Joe

Attachments

• Angry Eyes.jpg
    Angry Eyes.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
First the leading edge and bottom of the wing get covered in white...

2017-08-05 14.20.03.jpg

And then a little slicing with the vinyl cutter and the top side is done.

2017-08-05 16.35.38.jpg

And then add some stripes on the bottom...

2017-08-05 23.33.42.jpg

This is the kind of high contrast covering idea a person comes up with while looking at yet another plane needing repairs cause the pilot lost orientation. :black_eyed:

I'll save the angry eyes for another project coming later this fall. :)

Next up is mixing epoxy to mount the hinges and rudder...

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Epoxied in the hinges, rudder, and some servo mounting blocks to the bottom of the servo hatches...

2017-08-06 18.22.48.jpg

Then while I had the epoxy out I finished installing the hatch pins and magents...

2017-08-06 18.23.09.jpg

And I found the perfect expression to put on the bottom of the nose :p

2017-08-07 21.09.52.jpg

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I love the art work on the upper wings. Looks kind of post modern psychedelic in geometric space.

As for the face underneath I think the plane now MUST have a sound module of someone screaming so the crowd hears the Doppler effect as it whizzes by

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
That's pretty good. Mine would have a few teeth blackened out after the maiden.??

Lol!! I need to get some bugs on the teeth too :p

I love the art work on the upper wings. Looks kind of post modern psychedelic in geometric space.

Thanks! I like to keep trying different styles and expanding my skills with these :)

As for the face underneath I think the plane now MUST have a sound module of someone screaming so the crowd hears the Doppler effect as it whizzes by

Ohh - one of those little round screamer whistles mounted next to the rudder!!

https://smile.amazon.com/Assorted-C...&qid=1502218831&sr=8-14&keywords=wolf+whistle

From the description:

This well-made plastic siren/whistle, a touch over 3/4" in diameter and a similar touch under 2" long, has a perforated metal disk that rotates in response to a silent blast from the perpetrator's lungs.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That sounds more like an EDF description then a whistle hehe. Shame Radio shack has tanked. one of those record-able sound module kits with a simple op amp and speaker could have been easy to make that thing do a scared kid scream as it rips by the crowd hehe.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
And she's all done! Electronics and battery straps installed, radio bound and programmed - all ready for a maiden flight :)

Here are the pair of them for a couple beauty shots...

2017-08-09 21.54.48.jpg

2017-08-09 21.57.37.jpg

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Been lurking. Excellent work and coverage of the build! What motor did you end up with? I still have yet to purchase one. I thought I had one that would work but Laine said it is a bit too big. :black_eyed:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks! I think maiden videos are a must - how else can we diagnose the carnage? :black_eyed:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very nice! What is the weight difference and the power difference between them?

EPP Cuda
15.2 oz
Fun Fighter 2825 1950kv
6x4 prop
No idea of the thrust on this - anybody got a link to some test data?

Balsa Cuda
22 oz
Power Up 2212 2200kv
6x4 prop
264 watts (192 watts per pound)

The Power Up motor is only rated for 3 cell, but the Fun Fighter will take a 4 - I've only flown it on 3 so far and it's plenty fast for my thumbs at the moment.

Lmopar69

Excellent work on the Cuda build! I have found a new power system that will work on both the balsa and the EPP Cudas. Cobra 2217 2300 kr outrunner with an APC 6x4 prop. I like the APC E prop for 3S applications (EPP Cuda) and the APC Sport prop for 4S on the balsa Cuda. Use a 30ish amp esc on the EPP and 3S 2200 and use a 50 Amp on the balsa with a 4S 3000-3600. Balance is simple, speed is awesome and flight times are good. https://www.readymaderc.com/store/i...t_info&cPath=505_506_927_929&products_id=6375

Laine.

PS... I don't get into the forums too often, so if you have any questions. Email me at lainesplanes@gmail.com