Landing gear options

Bignose703

Recently, I built a FT Scout. It’s an awesome airplane but for some reason, my landing gear, and where the landing gear “square” goes into the fuselage is already starting to bend and get itself loose. I had the idea of using a rubber band and bbq skewers, but was curious if anyone had ideas to create a more durable landing gear system. Thanks!

mayan

Legendary member
I don't have any tips about a solution but love the Scout with landing gear, good luck with it.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Recently, I built a FT Scout. It’s an awesome airplane but for some reason, my landing gear, and where the landing gear “square” goes into the fuselage is already starting to bend and get itself loose. I had the idea of using a rubber band and bbq skewers, but was curious if anyone had ideas to create a more durable landing gear system. Thanks!

I use a heavy landing gear setup on my planes but it is almost indestructible. See; https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-mutts.57768/

It consists of a piece of aluminium bar and a length of spring wire which are then glued to a plywood plate. When assembled the plywood plate is taped to the fuselage in the required position. On the MUTTS it was the main gear on a tricycle setup but it can be relocated further forward and make it the main gear or a taildragger.

My landing field is grass and the MUTS was landing on grass which was in need of mowing and the ground was sodden after prolonged rain.
The wheels effectively disappeared into the grass on landing and the landing gear did not move the slightest!

If you require I can give some details about dimensions assuming that you can cut and bend aluminium bar and music wire.

Have fun!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I went through a landing gear phase... broke everything all the time...
then I went through a retractable phase...
now I just land in the grass... (of course I have a lot of that, and no prepared runway here in WY) :LOL:

The only plane I fly regularly now that has gear is my 2000mm DH Beaver, but even that is highly modified.
Everything else I've gone to belly landing. Heck, I've even got some 3000mm builds that land that way....

I've gone to floats full time on a few, (like my UMX Timber) because I can land in the grass... the snow, and the water, unlike with the wheels when even the slightest piece of gravel or dirt would cause me to flip and break a prop/prop shaft and rudder...

To me, the gear only looks cool on the ground.
Nothing beats a low pass with a war bird with no gear visible....