Solved Landing gear questions

Monica

If I add fixed landing gear to my ft mighty mini-corsair will it affect the flight abilities and if so how much? How about retractable? I really want to button up the wings so I can move on to paint. but gathering everything for retracts is... difficult money wise.

I bought a six channel reciever. And now know that's enough that I could even add flaps... but this is my first build and I don't want to get to carried away. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

I am really looking forward to this paint job she isn't going to be your typical blue plane you see when you think corsair. I look forward to posting the results.

Bifi.baarlo

If I add fixed landing gear to my ft mighty mini-corsair will it affect the flight abilities and if so how much? How about retractable? I really want to button up the wings so I can move on to paint. but gathering everything for retracts is... difficult money wise.

I bought a six channel reciever. And now know that's enough that I could even add flaps... but this is my first build and I don't want to get to carried away. Thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

I am really looking forward to this paint job she isn't going to be your typical blue plane you see when you think corsair. I look forward to posting the results.
Landing is easier without landing gear, especially with a small plane and the extra weight is effecting the flight characteristics when flying slow.

Musdang

Not Quite Legendary

You could add fixed gear if your gonna be landing on asphalt or something smooth. If it’s light and tidy, it shouldn’t make a big difference. Retractable is probably too heavy and complex for the Corsair. If you don’t want to put separate flaps, and if your transmitter is capable, you could use flaperons.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!

william Metge

For my warbirds I find it much easier to just easier to belly land.
You could add fixed gear if your gonna be landing on asphalt or something smooth. If it’s light and tidy, it shouldn’t make a big difference. Retractable is probably too heavy and complex for the Corsair. If you don’t want to put separate flaps, and if your transmitter is capable, you could use flaperons.

Can’t wait to see the finished product!
Just be careful if you do flaperons make sure to have full length ailerons because it has really bad affects if it’s just the tips.

checkerboardflyer

Hi Monica, You said that you don't want to get carried away. If you are thinking about retracts on your first build, you may be headed in that direction. The added weight of retracts makes the model need more speed to stay flying. For your first flights it's best to have light and slow. Keep it simple. Get some flights in. After you are a good and confident flyer, then get carried away. Check my blog where I try to keep things simple. https://foamboardflyers.com

Bo123

Elite member
I've scaled it back. It's just the paint and trying to source parts because the power pack is out. >.<
No he means its not the best plane to learn to fly on/ build. If you have a little flying experience thats ok then.