Landing gear

rcwees

i have built a simple cub and am currently building a ft 3d and ft p40, so i need tips for landing gear, any idea shapes of the wire or anything, on my simple cub i cant get it off the ground since it just stalls because it has to go really fast. so i was wondering if its best for hand launches without gear and then just touch in down in tall grass, the problem is i live in a desert and there isnt really any grass. any ideas, designs for skids or something. when i did a hand launch my cub just went up but then stalled and rolled left. from when we got a successfull hand launch it flew great but not at low speeds, when it goes to low speeds it just is completly uncontrolable and just gets really sensative. i decided to give up on it for now and am focusing on the 3d, but its there anything for how to launch it, or how to land, or if i should use landing gear or not. i bought actualy wheels and have collars and made good gear but we went to fly it nd it just keeps spinning out. i have been trying slow speed takeoffs, should i do higher speed takeoffs? thanks for any tips.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
i have built a simple cub and am currently building a ft 3d and ft p40, so i need tips for landing gear, any idea shapes of the wire or anything, on my simple cub i cant get it off the ground since it just stalls because it has to go really fast. so i was wondering if its best for hand launches without gear and then just touch in down in tall grass, the problem is i live in a desert and there isnt really any grass. any ideas, designs for skids or something. when i did a hand launch my cub just went up but then stalled and rolled left. from when we got a successfull hand launch it flew great but not at low speeds, when it goes to low speeds it just is completly uncontrolable and just gets really sensative. i decided to give up on it for now and am focusing on the 3d, but its there anything for how to launch it, or how to land, or if i should use landing gear or not. i bought actualy wheels and have collars and made good gear but we went to fly it nd it just keeps spinning out. i have been trying slow speed takeoffs, should i do higher speed takeoffs? thanks for any tips.
Slowly increase the throttle until it wants to lift off... Increase a little more ,and then a little up elevator and takeoff

Taildragger

Legendary member
sounds like your cub may be tail heavy, did you check the cg?
either that or just too heavy in general.

rcwees

so the cg is a little leaning forward, based of of what they say, and yea i have a c pack motor and a 1800 mah 3s so yea may be pretty heavy, but i just was wondering if anyone has any experience belly landing the 3d because thats my next maiden. or is it better to do it with a ground takeoff vs hand launch.

rcwees

yea when i get back from school, the cub was my first build so its really sloppy and has a croocked tail. i was just wondering if someone had a good gear design or something.

trey

It really shouldn't need landing gear. If the plane will work with them, it will work without them.

It's your plane, you can do it however you want, but I think you are chasing a separate problem.