Large "C-3" FTFoam scratch-built cargo plane.

EndeavorRC

First post in the community! Have been building with FT foam for a while and just now decided to join the forums!

For my first post, I'm showing off my own 100% "in-my-head" built Cargo plane utilizing FT Foam I'm dubbing the "C-3". There were no plans (and my only limitation was what I can do with limited time and leftover materials in two weeks. The idea was to make a stable, "flying test-bed" aircraft to upgrade with cool little things here and there. That being said, this is technically Version 3. The other two variants were mainly for suitability and stability purposes.

Flight Video here:

Specs:
-84" Wingspan (front and rear aluminum "U-channel" spars)
-72" Length
-2x 870kv motors swinging 12"x8 props (counter-rotating inboard) powered by two 4S 3300mah lipos (one per motor/esc)
-Fully retractable landing gear (Used spares from Freewing F-14)
-Cargo door with internal bay and chute for hilarious cargo drops.
-AUW is little over 6lbs.

Planned Add-ons:
-Retractable, pan and tilt FPV camera for a second operator on a separate transmitter. (two man Airborne Early Warning:p) *Tested on previous version, awaiting implementation.
-Piggyback aircraft launching system for smaller aircraft. *Tested on previous version awaiting implementation.
-Flaps? It definitely doesn't need them, but might be cool.

Overview:
Aircraft flies incredibly predictable and is a gentle enough for a novice flyer. It's handling and flight characteristics make it suitable for a range of fun add-ons.

I hope everyone gets a kick out of this, it was a blast making this and flying it! I do plan on posting any upgrades I do as time goes on. Let me know what ya'll think! I'm sure with the amount of awesome builders/tinkerers here, there's sure to be some awesome/hilarious things I could add to this!

Thanks for checking it out!

20210529_080625.jpg
20210529_080634.jpg
20210529_080647.jpg
20210529_080710.jpg
20210529_080821.jpg
20210529_080913.jpg
20210529_081002.jpg

Last edited:

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
First post in the community! Have been building with FT foam for a while and just now decided to join the forums!

For my first post, I'm showing off my own 100% "in-my-head" built Cargo plane utilizing FT Foam I'm dubbing the "C-3". There were no plans (and my only limitation was what I can do with limited time and leftover materials in two weeks. The idea was to make a stable, "flying test-bed" aircraft to upgrade with cool little things here and there. That being said, this is technically Version 3. The other two variants were mainly for suitability and stability purposes.

Specs:
-72" Length
-2x 870kv motors swinging 12"x8 props (counter-rotating inboard) powered by two 4S 3300mah lipos (one per motor/esc)

Planned Add-ons:
-Retractable, pan and tilt FPV camera for a second operator on a separate transmitter. (two man Airborne Early Warning:p) *Tested on previous version, awaiting implementation.
-Piggyback aircraft launching system for smaller aircraft. *Tested on previous version awaiting implementation.

Overview:
Aircraft flies incredibly predictable and is a gentle enough for a novice flyer. It's handling and flight characteristics make it suitable for a range of fun add-ons.

I hope everyone gets a kick out of this, it was a blast making this and flying it! I do plan on posting any upgrades I do as time goes on. Let me know what ya'll think! I'm sure with the amount of awesome builders/tinkerers here, there's sure to be some awesome/hilarious things I could add to this!

View attachment 201104 View attachment 201105 View attachment 201106 View attachment 201107 View attachment 201108 View attachment 201109 View attachment 201110
Awesome work! Would love to see some flight video. (y)(y)

The Fopster

Master member

Flight Video here:

Specs:
-72" Length

Planned Add-ons:

Overview:

View attachment 201104 View attachment 201105 View attachment 201106 View attachment 201107 View attachment 201108 View attachment 201109 View attachment 201110
That's a great looking plane!

b-29er

Unfortunately, I dont. This was built using my old fashioned, "looks-about-right" method. Although, the whole idea was to make it so easy to build that if I had an accident, all I'd have to do is basically make a box. I'm sure I'm could come up with some if you're absolutely interested!

I'm very much interested, but you don't have to come up with plans on my account (I guess i could have read the part about there being no plans in the first paragraph, my bad). Is there any chance you could take a picture from the top of the aircraft down though?

EndeavorRC

I'm very much interested, but you don't have to come up with plans on my account (I guess i could have read the part about there being no plans in the first paragraph, my bad). Is there any chance you could take a picture from the top of the aircraft down though?
Here's a "top-down" for you, I hope it works as I don't really have any place high enough to stand directly over it! I could draw up some basic plans with dimensions and whatnot if it managed to garner some more interest. honestly, I made this to pretty much be a free-for-all regarding any numbers, design, etc.. but i'd be more than happy to share the numbers i used!
topdown.jpg

b-29er

Here's a "top-down" for you, I hope it works as I don't really have any place high enough to stand directly over it! I could draw up some basic plans with dimensions and whatnot if it managed to garner some more interest. honestly, I made this to pretty much be a free-for-all regarding any numbers, design, etc.. but i'd be more than happy to share the numbers i used!
That works out perfect, thank you!