Large Combat-Plane Design Challenge

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
because... in brainstorming, all the ideas should be thrown at the wall.
1665423741744.png

Ekranoplane style manta-ray plane
1665423825797.png

kilroy07

Legendary member
Just a quick share on what I've gotten done. (click on the images to see larger pics)

The motor mount gets glued up
20221010_143333[1].jpg
Then a FB backing plate (I just tacked this with hot glue, I think for V2 I'll switch to white foaming gorilla glue)
20221010_144106[1].jpg
Here's where I want to make the first change because while it lines up great vertically, I did not get it square to the center-line (throwing everything from here on off a tad...)
20221010_153139[1].jpg
Then the sides are added, I like the puzzle piece tabs, but might review in V2 as 1. they would be hard to cut by hand and 2. they don't allow for any misalignment (a good thing?...?)
20221010_154400[1].jpg
The sides are rolled up interlocking with the motor mount.
20221010_161438[1].jpg
All closed up... A tad ugly (and I don't usually share my ugly work... but this "for Science"!
20221010_162527[1].jpg
V2 will have a bottom (kick-plate) might show up on V1... Maybe with mandible gear (thanks to Matt!) :p
20221010_162536[1].jpg

Now, I'm just going to run the wiring, build a standard Kraken and glue the wings on the sides and wait for the weather!

Attachments

• 20221010_162522[1].jpg
    20221010_162522[1].jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0

FoamyDM

Just a quick share on what I've gotten done. (click on the images to see larger pics)

The motor mount gets glued up
View attachment 231032
Then a FB backing plate (I just tacked this with hot glue, I think for V2 I'll switch to white foaming gorilla glue)
View attachment 231033
Here's where I want to make the first change because while it lines up great vertically, I did not get it square to the center-line (throwing everything from here on off a tad...)
View attachment 231034
Then the sides are added, I like the puzzle piece tabs, but might review in V2 as 1. they would be hard to cut by hand and 2. they don't allow for any misalignment (a good thing?...?)
View attachment 231035
The sides are rolled up interlocking with the motor mount.
View attachment 231036
All closed up... A tad ugly (and I don't usually share my ugly work... but this "for Science"!
View attachment 231038
V2 will have a bottom (kick-plate) might show up on V1... Maybe with mandible gear (thanks to Matt!) :p
View attachment 231039

Now, I'm just going to run the wiring, build a standard Kraken and glue the wings on the sides and wait for the weather!
What a great start!

kilroy07

Legendary member
So, I'm looking for ideas to attach the wings.
I have arrow shafts and yard sticks... Yard sticks are easy to work with and pretty stiff in one direction, but not the other...
The arrows are kind or short (figuring I'll need one per wing.)
The wings are big enough (and since this is a combat build) I want at least two supports... So, maybe the yardstick running through the main spar with a trailing edge arrow shaft? I'm going to laser cut plywood plates (for fuselage and wing) just to tidy things up a bit. I need to start watching how much I am using however... I bought this stock back before the price(s) went up and now I have to transfer funds to be able to afford plywood!!

Battery800

Elite member
Not scale but for ff23 I'm bringing a 6ft wing based on Bash's mongo jr. Windcatcher can cut it and also has the capacity to do the 8ft mongo sr.

FoamyDM

Not scale but for ff23 I'm bringing a 6ft wing based on Bash's mongo jr. Windcatcher can cut it and also has the capacity to do the 8ft mongo sr.
Cool, for those who had to look it up, it's good sized zagi which is:
1665608259039.png

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I might show up with the parts for a 155% Kraken ----- 2 x 2814 motors. I could sandwich the FB with some light ply and fly it in.

JetCrafts

I’ve been thinking about a plane for FF23 but it’s not really a target plane so I don’t know if this is the place to post about it but I will anyway. The plane I’ll probably build for FF is the Lippisch P.13a its a ww2 German design, it was planed to be a ramjet intercepter fighter to be powered by COAL! The design was a late war effort to build cheap aircraft that would run on something other than oil because of major shortages, but the worst part is the aircraft was meant for ramming the allied bombers. That’s right, a ramjet meant for ramming other planes (perfect for combat) here’s a few pics of the original design. View attachment 230974 View attachment 230975 The design never made it past a glider before the war ended (witch was probably a good thing) View attachment 230976
coal plane I saw this on found and explained

Piotrsko

Master member
Imho, Pushers are a detrimental addition. Front props add to the carnage caused , and tend to add front structure which aids in surviving. Doesn't mean a pusher won't win, but it is harder to do a kill except in a dive through

L Edge

Master member
I am throwing this at the wall thinking outside the box.

Use a F-22 made out of Coroplast which is a plastic corrugated just like card board. A sheet is 48"x96" in size for IMAA limits. Keeping it light and strong by using carbon hollow rods thru the corrugated segment and epoxy. Wherever it bends, use the rods. To join sheets, use thin fiberglass and epoxy.
If you want to be nasty where you could destroy the opponents prop from a side hit, is to use narrow carbon strips and glue them all around the outside. Use 2 sheets for the vertical nose(top and underneath) back to motor as well as 2 outer vertical struts underneath. Shape rudder back to protect elevons and install a "udder rudder" above and below wing. This will give a flow across the rudder from prop to allow sharp use of the rudder to outturn and exit fast.

Plane is just designed to outlive attacks.

corrugated.jpg

Piotrsko

Master member
Need to use rtv silicone, or some sort of rubberized high surface stickyness adhesive like concrete construction glue. lots of stuff we use on DTFH and wood doesn't adhere well to coroplast and it pops apart on the first real hit.

On coroplast, whenever I want to harden it, I use music wire sized to be imbedded in the corrugations. Props don't stand a chance against 1/16 music wire.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Ya know I've always wanted to build an "indestructible" combat plane. I cant imagine building a RC work area and a massive plane by the end of October, but I could see it happening early next year.

I'll just stay on the sidelines for now...

Piotrsko

Master member
Well the first bit is building some structure so you can test your glues for impact resistance. I like outdoor concrete glue in a cailk gun format with braided string tape holding the edges together. They still fail at the joint, but the coroplast gets pretty banged up

FoamyDM

Ya know I've always wanted to build an "indestructible" combat plane. I cant imagine building a RC work area and a massive plane by the end of October, but I could see it happening early next year.

I'll just stay on the sidelines for now...
Well if you do it at your pace, let us know where to follow your progress.