Large Combat-Plane Design Challenge

Piotrsko

Master member
Hmmm a big combat zagi..... arrow shafts for all 5 spars skin it with coroplast and a flight controller for when someone inevitably knocks off the rudder tips. Still think it needs forward motors, but with two who needs rudder tips?

Mutley

The whole "Maiden by the end of the month" is really between Matt and I.... we welcome anyone/everyone to join in the fun... (or building something to "hunt the mantas" at FF23!... If you dare...) ;)
Copy! Can't wait for the November build challenge. Have I got a bunch of zany ideas...

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I think @kilroy07, you may be winning this round. Life in true fashion, kicked me square in the jewels. I have a busy weekend, and little if any progress on this project as I have been unable to push other projects to completions.

FoamyDM

Well... I have finally managed to get some of this pesky life-stuff squared away. Time to look back into this.

L Edge

Master member
Another possibility for someone is to build a very large Sidewinder missile (out of coroplast) where the motor/prop could be moved lower inside for protection. Did both about 11 years ago. Only negative is that you got to remind yourself which side is the rudder when flying. Bet that could take a number of hits before its destroy. Practice enough, and you got a VTOL if the wind is not blowing..

Can even play dead.

Mutley

I am locked-on to the AIM-9 Idea...

Another possibility for someone is to build a very large Sidewinder missile (out of coroplast) where the motor/prop could be moved lower inside for protection. Did both about 11 years ago. Only negative is that you got to remind yourself which side is the rudder when flying. Bet that could take a number of hits before its destroy. Practice enough, and you got a VTOL if the wind is not blowing..

Can even play dead.

Trying to Revive my AIM-7 that was towed into Combat at FF '22..

Mutley

Hopefully with the busy holidays the seasonal chaff and new years flares don't break my locked-on focus on this target project..

Mutley

@L Edge what are your thoughts on a 3d missile, i.e. a round missile (not profile) ?

In the past, I've found the landings are difficult to do without damaging the fins. I like the vertical hover landing idea.

L Edge

Master member
@L Edge what are your thoughts on a 3d missile, i.e. a round missile (not profile) ?

In the past, I've found the landings are difficult to do without damaging the fins. I like the vertical hover landing idea.

Are you again towing it or you trying to have it land vert with motor/prop? Have you thought about using a parachute(s)?

Last edited:

Mutley

Are you again towing it or you trying to have it land vert with motor/prop? Have you thought about using a parachute(s)?
I didn't think about using parachutes. I think landing it vertical with a prop imbedded could work, I might have to practice my 3d airplane flying on the sim. I even had an idea on reinforcing the fins with cross members, a sort of a trapeze of long Dowell rods or BBQs skewer's.

1669735927108.png

HVB79

I didn't think about using parachutes. I think landing it vertical with a prop imbedded could work, I might have to practice my 3d airplane flying on the sim. I even had an idea on reinforcing the fins with cross members, a sort of a trapeze of long Dowell rods or BBQs skewer's.

I think it would work better to move the bracing in so that you could connect the mid point of each brace to the body like this:
1669737866420.png

Mutley

I think it would work better to move the bracing in so that you could connect the mid point of each brace to the body like this:

I tried this. In the picture below, after the first "landing" the flite test foam board fins bent right at the dowell support intersection. I suppose I could hot wire foam cut the fins a core to make them rigid, but the reality is, a little extra drag won't matter that much. If I get a 4 minute flight in combat, and hit someone, mission complete. With skewers/dowells out to the tips of the fins, I can land and fly again.

1669747910656.png

HVB79

Ok my bracing suggestion would not help with that problem. I thought the issue was bending at the root joint.

Give how long the distance is between tips you could use the same amount material and make a spar inside a simple folded foam wing instead. This would give your fins/wings the needed strength without any external bracing.

L Edge

Master member
I tried this. In the picture below, after the first "landing" the flite test foam board fins bent right at the dowell support intersection. I suppose I could hot wire foam cut the fins a core to make them rigid, but the reality is, a little extra drag won't matter that much. If I get a 4 minute flight in combat, and hit someone, mission complete. With skewers/dowells out to the tips of the fins, I can land and fly again.

View attachment 232591

exhaust stol.jpg

Try this for your missile. First install motor/prop inside your tube in front of controls. Used heli parts so that you end up with elevons across and rudder vertical. Rudder and elevons must be aft of tube to deflect flow in order to work. Locate servos inside.

Mount fins fore and aft. Front fins (in line with back elevons) are going to be a set of movable canards(other is fixed). What is going to be different is each movable fin will have a servo so it will do both aileron and elevator. You need something quick to turn(long tube).

Inlet air flow to prop will come with holes at nose cone and down tube to provide good thrust.
Landing it by parachute than legs aft of elevons would reduce damage.

Used the canards as elevons for I used it on my Viggen and others. It flew 9 flights until I bent the fuse of this plane because it acted like it was on crack with all the controls.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

On a note regarding the original efforts here, I did manage to put together the Kraken and with a friend's suggestion, I have called it the Special K.

I just recently found the motors I collected for this project. So if I can find the right connectors, I should have it airborne for the maiden soon.

The top is modelled after the wings of a postman butterfly. The bottom, some should recognize.
1670432937115.png

IMG_20221201_093741032_HDR.jpg IMG_20221202_102057646_HDR.jpg IMG_20221202_160408876.jpg

Last edited:

dap35

Elite member

View attachment 232591
Try putting a strip of 1/64" plywood on each side of the fins where the dowell supports attach. If the ply runs from root to tip you will be amazed at how stiff the fins become.