Large Combat-Plane Design Challenge

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Try putting a strip of 1/64" plywood on each side of the fins where the dowell supports attach. If the ply runs from root to tip you will be amazed at how stiff the fins become.
My brain is not wrapping around this terribly well. Do you have a picture or an image?

I have been making some good progress on this. I have it nearly ready for maiden. Mostly just internalizing the wires and battery
IMG_20221211_000628510.jpg IMG_20221211_001012946.jpg

dap35

Elite member
My brain is not wrapping around this terribly well. Do you have a picture or an image?

I have been making some good progress on this. I have it nearly ready for maiden. Mostly just internalizing the wires and battery
View attachment 232816 View attachment 232817
I was replying to @Mutley , but the theory can work in multiple places. Someone in my club has referred to 1/64" plywood as poor mans composite. You can sandwich the foamboard or structure with 1/64 ply strips and it makes a big difference.

Side View:

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 9.09.59 AM.png

Top View:

Screenshot 2022-12-11 at 9.15.21 AM.png

b-29er

So i'm not terribly observant, but did anyone actually complete the challenge by the end of October?

Also, does anyone know how to get ahold of florida man (the person/group that made Stan?) I need to get their jigsaw back to them at some point...

I'm planning to fly a v2 of my 2021 combat plane, but there was zero chance of me getting that done by October.
1670896015900.png

Mutley

I work with the guy that made Stan. I'll ask him tomorrow. He hasn't flown RC planes in a while though...been into fixing cars and scooters lately.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
So i'm not terribly observant, but did anyone actually complete the challenge by the end of October?
Not really. We came close-ish.
It flew a number of time. And crashed a couple:
The maiden ended in a crash:
it still wasn't hands off. I tried to get it hand off.

Post-mortem of the fly today. Pulling out of a fast dive... Didn't avoid catching props and gear on the grass .. yeah, that close
IMG_20230220_142014333.jpg