Large foam board

RocketManAK

I'm a member of the Design Build Fly team at the University of Alaska Fairbanks, and we need some big foam board for our wings. I was watching the A-10 video for tips, and it looks like the foam board used in the laser cutter there is much larger than the standard 20"x30" board you can get. Is it actually bigger? And if it is, can I get some? And if it isn't, is there something somewhere that is bigger?

Thanks

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Also look for a thread here on making your own foam board. Using wheat paste, or elmers Glue and foam. This allows you to customize your sheet thickness, fill material, coating paper/material, etc. And use what you have available.

Last edited:

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Sooo.... No 4 ft x 8 ft sheets of the stuff Flite Test carries? It seems like it would be made in much larger sheets and then, cut to size by the Mfr.

Brian
Its the shipping of 4x8 sheets that gets tricky.

Seen a lot of builds with large sheets of various foam from the hardware store if you need extra large.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
If it's any consolation, I went to my local Wal*Mart & Dollar Tree today in the hopes of coming home with some foam board. Dollar Tree was COMPLETELY EMPTY. All 3 racks!!
Wal*Mart had some white, but it was too small. Was there a sale on foam board I missed??!!

:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Tench745

Master member
Old thread, I know, but still.
Check with your local art supply store or sign shop. They had 4x8 sheets of foam board in my area. It’s the heavier Elmers brand. But at that scale, I doubt the foam board weight will have much affect.
I second this suggestion. Our local art store (actually named The Art Store) used to carry giant sheets of foam board in normal 3/16" thickness and much thicker as well.
As another thought, we recently needed some durable foam board for stage show we were building. We bought something called "Gator Board" which has a much thicker, stiffer veneer on both sides of the foam. It was very strong, and also about 1/2" thick.