Larger linkage stoppers...

basslord1124

Master member
So I originally sorta thought linkage stoppers were all created equal... Well obviously not. I bought some (through banggood) and they did ok if I used pushrods you get from Flitetest.

Well, I've been using those little yard flags for pushrod wire and they are actually thicker than FT pushrod wire. So I have to end up drilling the linkage stopper hole to make the larger wire fit. Kind of a pain but it works.

I measured the wire and it appears to be about 1.5-2mm thick.

I think I found some on eBay. Does anybody else have some good larger recommend linkage stoppers that would fit this wire so I could quit drilling holes?

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So I originally sorta thought linkage stoppers were all created equal... Well obviously not. I bought some (through banggood) and they did ok if I used pushrods you get from Flitetest.

Well, I've been using those little yard flags for pushrod wire and they are actually thicker than FT pushrod wire. So I have to end up drilling the linkage stopper hole to make the larger wire fit. Kind of a pain but it works.

I measured the wire and it appears to be about 1.5-2mm thick.

I think I found some on eBay. Does anybody else have some good larger recommend linkage stoppers that would fit this wire so I could quit drilling holes?
My problem was actually the opposite in that I could not find a linkage stopper that would tighten sufficiently on some of the very fine wires I use from time to time PLUS I was forever having the nut coming loose and falling off over time even when CA was applied to the thread.

I prefer to use DU-BRO E/Z Connectors (Cat No 605) now as they use a Hex key to tighten them, Handle quite large diameter pushrods as well as the thinnest of wire and there is no fiddly nut to be applied, tightened, locked, and then lost. They use either a nylon snap-on or a a permanent metal spring clip, (push-nut).

I still use other linkage stoppers but for my "Keepers" I use the Du-Bro or exact equivalent!

Just what I prefer!

Have fun!

Wildthing

Legendary member
Hk has a pretty good selection of stoppers.

Mine are the style with nuts, I use Loctite on all of them and never had one come loose.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
It's personally funny to me that should mention this. On my first, very tortuous build of the Tiny Trainer, I managed put a linkage rod completely through my finger, trying to get it to fit when it slipped. I don't mess with that anymore. ;)

I grab the stopper with a pair of pliers, and if the rod doesn't fit, I just ream out the stopper. No questions, no worries. I grab whatever's handy and will get the job done to make the hole just a bit wider. It's really soft metal. It doesn't take much.

I usually use the push rod itself, with pliers on both it and the stopper and just work it until it fits. Boom. Onward. :)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Does anybody else have some good larger recommend linkage stoppers that would fit this wire so I could quit drilling holes?
I also use marker flags as push rods.

I’m a big fan of the Great Planes linkage stoppers. They tighten with an allen wrench, so you don’t have to push on them like you do with a screw head. The body is square, so you can grip it easily with a pliers. They have a push on backer, which will not vibrate off like a tap will. And above all you don’t have to drill them out for a marker flag wire.

basslord1124

Master member
Awesome! Thanks for the help. I had wondered about those Du-Bro connectors. I think I'm going to be doing some supplies shopping today. Need those, some new props, maybe a new motor, etc.

I have luckily never had one come loose...I generally use Loctite Blue on all my linkage connections.

Ouch @buzzbomb !! Did ya need stitches? I've had some close calls with drilling to make the hole wider.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Great Planes or Du-Bro are my go to linkage stoppers - I've used both brands with no issues. I DO know, however, that I prefer the ones with nuts on the back of them, as opposed to the "push on" washers that grab into the thread of the linkage stopper. I just can't bring myself to trust those lock washers when I've seen them loosen up from bench testing. I keep worrying that they'll let go in flight. If you're going to use them, use the black rubber pieces instead of the washers.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I prefer the ones with nuts on the back of them, as opposed to the "push on" washers that grab into the thread of the linkage stopper.
I only use the plastic push on washer. I’ve never had one fail

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I only use the plastic push on washer. I’ve never had one fail

I don't have the tool to push them on with, always tried to get it on with the lock washer, and it's always come loose on me. I just feel hinky with it. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'd rather press it on and have it not move.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
For the Du-bro type I use mostly the plastic snap-on and fitting them is a simple as using a set of pliers to press them on. As a side note, they can also be removed and for that i use a small sharp pair of side-cutters to lift them and a screwdriver to finally remove the snap-on. (The whole linkage stopper including the snap-on can be reused elsewhere without an issue)!

Works for me, (Over and over again).

Have fun!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I don't have the tool to push them on with, always tried to get it on with the lock washer, and it's always come loose on me. I just feel hinky with it. Maybe it's all in my head, but I'd rather press it on and have it not move.
To get mine on, I just have a board with a small hole. Go as far as you can then put it over the hole to bring it home

smiling albert

Hi
Been reading this with interest.
I have some 2mm diameter stoppers which seem to grip my 1.5 mm diameter control rod but will it work loose with time?
Thanks

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah blue loctite is good stuff. Think of blue loctite as strong enough to hold it, but still be able to remove it easily if needed. It's commonly used on screws/set screws to keep them from coming/vibrating loose.

smiling albert

Ok
Thanks
I have got some bike spokes that will just fit in.
I know they are heavier but was thinking of using them to work the aerolons as they only need to be quite short