Laser cutter or 3D printer?

Chuppster

That's quite an idea!

Here's what I have in mind currently. Going with all the info you guys gave me (thanks so much for all the info btw, you guys are absolutely amazing :D ) and since I will use a laser cutter primarily for PCB etching and other small stuff, I figured I would be better off with a small, low power laser cutter, such as this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/A5-...012627b&transAbTest=ae803_1&priceBeautifyAB=0
(good lord that link is massive)

I would also add in a creality cr-10 printer and maybe an E3D hotend (I don't mind fiddling about and modifying stuff, tends to yeild intresting results!). Is the creality a good choice or should I go for a MK2S?

It would be absolutely amazing if you could post a list up here! Thanks!

I hugely appreciate all you guys' contribution. You guys rock!

If you want to etch your own PCB's, that awesome, but keep in mind that if that's what you want your CNC for you may end up saving money ordering the boards online. If you are geeking out and just want to try it for yourself, mad respect, I do the same kinds of things. But for my opinion as a computer engineer, if you want a cost-effective way to get PCB's (unless you are going to spin a TON of boards), ordering them online will save you time and money. Yeah, the lead times aren't as quick, but they do all the work for you!

The YouTube channel GreatScott recommends these guys: https://jlcpcb.com/

InsanitySquared

If you want to etch your own PCB's, that awesome, but keep in mind that if that's what you want your CNC for you may end up saving money ordering the boards online. If you are geeking out and just want to try it for yourself, mad respect, I do the same kinds of things. But for my opinion as a computer engineer, if you want a cost-effective way to get PCB's (unless you are going to spin a TON of boards), ordering them online will save you time and money. Yeah, the lead times aren't as quick, but they do all the work for you!

The YouTube channel GreatScott recommends these guys: https://jlcpcb.com/

Good point actually. I considered it earlier but it didn't seem too appealing to wait for shipping as I live in quite a remote part of the world where a shipment from china takes a few dozen decades :) And yeah I guess I'm quite the geek too!

That is however, as i said earlier, quite a good point. I will order boards online when I finish prototyping and finalizing my designs, just to get the absolutely amazing finish they come with!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
lol :) Thanks for all your advice, I will "Go the way of the printer" (<< say in a very emotive tone like what people use when they say 'go the way of your master") :)
Once again, thanks!

Sounds good! Now, just make sure you show us the first things you print on it! My father has found a TON of stuff on Thingiverse and My Mini 3D factory that he's been printing, like drink coasters from Doctor Who, Dice Towers for our board game friends (you drop dice in the top, they tumble down through it and come out into a tray at the bottom, rather than having the dice go all over the table with an enthusiastic throw), an oven knob after one broke (apparently, 1 knob was something like $40 to replace it; he was able to make something that looked almost identical and spray painted it the same flat black as the original)...It's funny, you'll be looking for things to print. :)

Oh, and odd as this sounds, it's soothing to watch the printer print stuff. You know what the end item is supposed to look like; watching it build up is really cool. My wife has sat for over an hour, watching a succulents planter in the shape of a turtle, get printed!!!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Now, just make sure you show us the first things you print on it!
I second that!

And, might I suggest this;
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:763622
It's an object that has become the "standard" for test prints. Read the description to see that while looking simple, there was actually a lot of thought about the geometry of the design to help you tune your 3D printer to it's maximum potential.
I use it every time I try a new filament brand to "dial it in" as they say.

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I've yet to build a plane but I have a 3d printer and a laser. I have to say, I'd have a heck of a time deciding! Either one will be very useful. Probably comes down to how you think.
Something no one has mentioned is speed. I could laser cut 50 control arms in the time I could print out one. On the other hand, the 3d printer can yield things that the laser can't.

evranch

If you are planning to etch PCBs with a laser, or mill them, you can also get great results with toner transfer. I did it for years until it became cheaper and easier just to buy modules for prototyping or order boards for production. Print on laser printer - iron onto board - into etching solution. It's capable of rendering tiny traces for the smallest SMD devices.

Have fun with the printer! Hard decision, isn't it. Personally I am considering a laser cutter as it would have more utility here on the farm, as it has the ability to transfer layouts and plans to almost any material, and cut lighter ones. As an electrician there's also use for making lamacoid labels or laying out precise panel designs. 3D printing is cool but can't work with the materials I work with here on the farm - metal, wood, composites - while a laser can put the plans onto the material for me to cut with an appropriate tool. A lot easier than transferring paper plans.

InsanitySquared

Thank you so much for all the help! Ya'll are amazing. My Creality cr-10 just arrived and let me tell you I'm so glad I bought it! (thanks to you all of course!) I obsessed over it for a few days and got the bed leveled absolutely amazingly. Prints like a charm. Will post some photos here soon!
I did in fact use benchy to do bed leveling, Thanks for that too!

InsanitySquared

If you are planning to etch PCBs with a laser, or mill them, you can also get great results with toner transfer. I did it for years until it became cheaper and easier just to buy modules for prototyping or order boards for production. Print on laser printer - iron onto board - into etching solution. It's capable of rendering tiny traces for the smallest SMD devices.
/QUOTE]

I did try that but our toner sucks and the printer is quite bad, and ends up not transferring to the copper properly. However, armed with a permanent marker, I was able to rectify (kind of) that. Thanks a lot for the suggestion though and happy laser-cutting!!

kilroy07

Legendary member
/\ Posted at 3am! :LOL:
(I'm only laughing because I've stayed up all night playing with a new toy too!)

Now, try to resist the urge to print ALL the cool stuff on thingiverse in one week!
(Unless you stock up on filament first.)

InsanitySquared

/\ Posted at 3am! :LOL:
(I'm only laughing because I've stayed up all night playing with a new toy too!)

Lol not a stranger to that myself (my new toy was a 3d printer that needed to be tuned (finding perfect layer heights etc) and bed leveled!

Yeah my printer is on now almost all day, constantly churning out ridiculous and useless cool things all the time (almost ran out of filament :( , need to find some. Ill try and get carbon fibre or nylon or tpu next). Poor printer! I'm tryng to setup octoprint on an old laptop which acts as a server to monitor my prints.