Help! Laser question

cbford76

So I have downloaded the PDF plans for the FT Long EZ. My children are wanting to get into this as a hobby with me. The whole family. Anyway. I have a small K40 laser using inkscape. I have no idea how to convert the PDF files into a vector? Or a format I can scale appropriately to my machine size. If anyone can help I would be grateful. I can also post a pic of my first assembled FT Long EZ in a Frankenstein assembly. Also, if anyone is using a K40, what settings are you using for single cut passes? I successfully lit the dollar tree foam on fire. 😁

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Sorry I cannot help with k40 specific things but let me help you with what I can.
‘PDFs are what is called a "container file" that means they can have raster and/or vector information in them. All of the ones that I have downloaded here are in vector format. Inkscape should let you put them in any format you need.

Now to scale. You cannot just change scale all willy nilly because when you change one thing, several other things change as well.

I find that cutting Adam's fb works best using two or three lighter passes.

cbford76

Sorry I cannot help with k40 specific things but let me help you with what I can.
‘PDFs are what is called a "container file" that means they can have raster and/or vector information in them. All of the ones that I have downloaded here are in vector format. Inkscape should let you put them in any format you need.

Now to scale. You cannot just change scale all willy nilly because when you change one thing, several other things change as well.

I find that cutting Adam's fb works best using two or three lighter passes.

Thank you! I will have to try that. I saw PDF and assumed. Relating to scale, I do it in 3d printing but with the channel lines I would definitely have to adjust them accordingly. I will try inkscape. Any other alternative conversion tools?

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I’m far from an expert with CNC.
I think there is an ungroup function that will allow you to get to the actual drawing points FT used in the PDF plans.

cbford76

Thank you everyone. Ok. So you can open a single page of a pdf in inkscape. I also used the eraser tool after deleting the ungrounded items to remove the rest of the materials. I copied the image and created one with cut lines and one with engraving. Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20191108_133026.jpg
    20191108_133026.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0