Lasercutting foam board

IsmaelPR77

So I bent my needle coil smaller than the bearing, so how do I get the needle onto the bearing now that the coil is smaller than the bearing?

dkj4linux

Elite member
Not all folks do it this way, but I've always ground a very shallow groove in the outer race of the bearing with a Dremel and cutoff disk... lightly dragging a finger on the backside to keep it from spinning up to damaging speeds. I then use a "mandrel" (a drill bit shank) about 2/3 the OD of my bearing to wind my loops around... about 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 turns and I usually leave a little tail/handle, which makes it easy to slightly spring open the loops to go around the bearing race. The loops spring back a bit when removed from the mandrel but, when fitted around the bearing, it "snaps"/settles and holds in the shallow groove in the outer race simply by its own spring pressure. I have some pictures in this post that show the basic procedure.

117589_f4226ece920a4710d6cd6447961fdcb4.jpg

117593_9f19e5f9f534b8c3f527ec235e0c9aea.jpg

Some folks have had problems with the grooving procedure above and have used super glue, flanged bearings, etc... with some success.

More recently I've used a 3d printed "keeper" that surrounds the bearing with a close fit... and the needle has a simple 90 deg bend in it...

157985_d8c3b47ef1922b2194843b2a397afd3f.jpg

157984_1a220275e0b8310a6da81ddbf48373b2.jpg

157982_aeb29092e3303bf5665cc78384d25e06.jpg

194013_3dfa0196c442ee31b7dd5bcac3657ed8.jpg

Keepers have been made for 8mm and 10mm OD bearings... the most common sizes used, I believe. Post some pictures and give some details of your cutter and we'll do what we can to help.

This discussion should also probably belong in a different thread... feel free to use my needle cutter thread, or start your own.

-- David

Headbang

Master member
Needle cutter for the win. Mpcnc goes together very easily. My needle cutter has a ply frame, coil on the motor shaft, 0.025 piano wire needle with 0.030 mig tip and oiled cotton. Works very well, but I did solder a heat sink to the mig tip. All in all it has been painless and productive. 20181118_111733.jpg

dkj4linux

Elite member
Needle cutter for the win. Mpcnc goes together very easily. My needle cutter has a ply frame, coil on the motor shaft, 0.025 piano wire needle with 0.030 mig tip and oiled cotton. Works very well, but I did solder a heat sink to the mig tip. All in all it has been painless and productive. View attachment 120021

Outstanding work, Headbang!

Since this is the "laser-cutting foamboard" thread, let's please take any further needle-cutter discussion(s) over to the needle-cutter thread.

-- David

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
So I bent my needle coil smaller than the bearing, so how do I get the needle onto the bearing now that the coil is smaller than the bearing?

I always make my coil a little smaller than the bearing. Then I just leave the end a bit long so I can use it to pry it back open and slip it on the bearing before doing the final trim. That way it fits nice and tight since I've yet to successfully put a groove into the outside of a bearing and am too lazy/cheap to buy a grooved bearing. I do sometimes add a single tiny drop of super glue which I wouldn't expect to do much on metal to metal...but does actually seem to help (my cardboard experiments kept tossing the needle off the bearing until I added the drop of super glue - but once I did I didn't toss another needle.)

uggymoo

Mad Canadian builder
I have an older epilog 75watt 18" X 24" bed it has 3 settings for vector . Speed , power and rate ,
to cut I use S/25 P/55 R/10
to score S/50 P/50 R/05
In the Vancouver BC area

Dvirski

It takes long and sometimes much simpler to cut by hand but it does achieve a clear cut without melting the foam. Using a generic old Chinese 40W laser and doing 4-5 passes.
I can't tell the settings in Watts but on the control panel the setup goes like this...

Cutting distance: 3-5mm (hand measured)
Power setting: 12.1 (possibly percentage)
Speed: 30 (possibly mm/m)
Score: 1-2 passes
Cut through: 4-5 passes
Mark (reference): 1 pass with power setting lowered to 8.7

Would like to be able to cut faster without compromising cut quality or melting the foam.... maybe someone can suggest better settings?

Mik3y

It takes long and sometimes much simpler to cut by hand but it does achieve a clear cut without melting the foam. Using a generic old Chinese 40W laser and doing 4-5 passes.
I can't tell the settings in Watts but on the control panel the setup goes like this...

Cutting distance: 3-5mm (hand measured)
Power setting: 12.1 (possibly percentage)
Speed: 30 (possibly mm/m)
Score: 1-2 passes
Cut through: 4-5 passes
Mark (reference): 1 pass with power setting lowered to 8.7

Would like to be able to cut faster without compromising cut quality or melting the foam.... maybe someone can suggest better settings?

30mm/min is a bit over 1"/minute. Very slow.

On my 100W machine I use 500mm/sec at 12% (about 8W) in one pass