Late, Ugly & broken!

jolfstn74

Not a promising sounding title,but the store shipped in a timely fashion UPS was slow,and I knew what the plane looked like so that's on me.
XK toys A800 arrived yesterday.i purchased this to replace my UMX Radian who passed away following a brief illness,I let the smoke out reversing the battery.DOH!
Don't cross the streams!
I chose the A800 because it's 4 channel, something I found myself wishing for on the radian. A swooped wing flattened airfoil like the radian it's a powered sailplane of a similar design & dimensions. The A800 is heavier and more robust, reinforced at the tail (Radian's Achilles heel) Unboxing I didn't care for the Christmas theme so using my Davinci-esque artistic ability to permently & iretreavably uglify anything beyond hope, I sanded off the decals,blackened the fuselage, top of the wings & rudder, bottom of the wings used red for right and green for left (Red & Green? I thought you said you were trying to eliminate the holidays theme?) Look the only colors I had were black and green and red,ok? I'd include a photo if I were any more secure in my aesthetic assertion,but I do not need the forum peanut gallery echoing the criticism in my own head. Imagine if a slow 7 year old with a concussion and vision problems decorated a plane black and red and green because his screaming inner scrooge has some problem with Christmas,and this poor child also has fine motor control problems, is hyperactive and failed to take his Ritalin,also just lacks follow through in general,is insecure with women,makes impulsive purchases and is feeling he should be in a better place in this stage of his life. Poor kid! Can we stick to the airplane please and leave the rest for Dr.Phil? Yes,his hair is getting thin too,this 7 year old has some problems but he loves to fly and genuinely wishes to share the hobby with other enthusiasts. He,I mean,I, coated the hot mess with polyurethane so that the evidence of the artistic atrocity will forever be preserved. Also it helps with waterproofing and makes the frame a bit stronger. Time for the maiden flight! As soon as commenced maidening (perhaps we call this activity something else? It sounds like an Edwardian euphemism for something obscene. I was NOT deflower-ing the young,inexperienced but enthusiastic plane. I was flying it for the first time. That's all I was doing) I pulled my pants back on and after "maidening" the airplane (a thoroughly unenjoyable experience due to the propeller!) I flew it for the first time. It flew ok. Not great. I landed and could hear A LOT of servo noise from the right wing airelon servo. I took it home and put the servo on the PWM tester/ speed controller and sure enough,she was singing a bad song. Defective servo. Until my replacement comes she's a 3 channel. Now she flies great (for a 3 channel) not unlike the radian I killed. She's got a beefier, albeit brushed motor, and I noticed the radian had a bigger propeller, and as everyone knows,bigger is always better. No! It's not the size of the prop but how you use it! Actually this bit of experimentation actually paid off, the steeper pitch and longer wider blade made the A800 faster and more responsive. I had a clear prop on the radian as it was a favorite FPV platform. I sense the A800 will be as well. Once she's high up and far enough away and you squint,screw your eyes up enough and my paint job looks BRILLIANT on that tiny dot in the sky! And the difference in wing color aids in orientation,so I know if I'm coming or going,not that there's anything wrong with that. Purchased from Skymall via Amazon for $70 delivered she's a steal, provided customer service sends me a new servo to replace the defective one. Overall I'm happy with my purchase, on a scale of 119 to 127.331, I give it a solid R for excellent!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Sounds like someone skipped their morning meds again. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::devilish: Kinda reminds me of someone...

I still have the FT Radian NIB and never powered up from FFO18. Im skeered to fly it. at least you got fun out of yours and have moved on to newer things. Im still stuck at that whole hand launch n crash phase.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Sounds like someone skipped their morning meds again. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::devilish: Kinda reminds me of someone...

I still have the FT Radian NIB and never powered up from FFO18. Im skeered to fly it. at least you got fun out of yours and have moved on to newer things. Im still stuck at that whole hand launch n crash phase.
Fly it today man! From everything I’ve heard they are super easy to fly! In fact my first successful flights were vía buddy box with a radian.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Fly it today man! From everything I’ve heard they are super easy to fly! In fact my first successful flights were vía buddy box with a radian.

To be honest its really just too big for me to carry to a place with large enough space to actually fly it. I have to walk anywhere I want to fly which is why my flights are always in the same 2 crappy spots. Some day though. Trying to work out a trip to Edgewater before the weather gets bad and that may come along for the ride along with one or three of my other planes I really wanna get in the air.

jolfstn74

Psyborg, I hear you
But the powered sailplane is a BRILLIANT aircraft design because it's gossamer reach it WANTS to remain airborne,you have to coax it down, but I should talk,I'm afraid to fly my UMX Turbo Timber because I'm throttle Happy & it nearly got away from me and now I'm spoiled by sailplanes. Try just chucking the FTNR gently into some grass,no rc,power off (do add a battery for cg) & I guarantee you will feel better about not crashing it.if not,I'd be willing to buy it from you. Not kidding. I've been vacillating between the conscendo 1.5m and the night ft radian. If it truly is unused I'll pay full price. OR I can send you my UMX timber and some more$ and we can sort of trade. Message me if interested. My most convenient flying spot is a former Apple orchard,the trees caught Apple covid ebola syphilis or something and they cut them all down,but it's an overgrown weeds & grass field so everything I bring there has to be hand launched. There is a very good dedicated flying field but it's a drive. And I usually have the former diseased Apple orchard to myself, which is odd, usually people love diseased apples and ticks and snakes. More for me I guess.im still so new I get very self conscious with an audience,and if I try to power through I crash. I've had people stop and watch and I'll just pack up and leave. Which by then maybe makes me a d*** but my ex's admonitions about a 45 year old man playing with toys is creepy and sad,but she doesn't understand. Or she does and I don't.but someone is mistaken. Even if it is,I can live with that,I've been called worse and no one who tries it would think that!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh I trust the plane for sure. I know its built to fly itself. I seriously have no room to fly anywhere I can walk to. There are plenty of corn fields but farmers be like "Grab your torch n pitch fork" to the neighbors if you even ask to fly on their property here. The only two other places I can fly from put me right over the town proper and we all know thats not the best of ideas.

Oh I know the hate for RC... one of the guys that lives up the street from me is the fire chief for the town. The first time I treid to fly my Dynam Pitts out back and was doing bunny ground tracking and bunny hops the first thing out of his mouth was"Arent you a little old for that?" Now when I rip my quads around the field he complements how much better and faster I have gotten as I progressed.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Guess i missed the memo that RC planes were for kids... back when i was a youngster it was all grouchy old farts that flew!

A middle aged man building and flying is creepy but its perfecly acceptable to wear a primary colored jersey with another mans name on it while screaming at a tv because other grown men are chasing a ball around? No wonder our society is in a downward spiral... SMH

It is a shame so many land owners are hesitant to allow access, there are a lot of places people could safely fly, but i understand. People are so litigation happy these days its a big risk for land owners. It costs me a fortune to have enough insurance to cover the liability of having hunting and fishing on my place. But if you ever find yourself in NE Wyoming look me up, got a ton of places to fly! Lol

Love my little timber but its getting pretty beat up, thinking its about time to try out that turbo timber 😁

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Guess i missed the memo that RC planes were for kids... back when i was a youngster it was all grouchy old farts that flew!

A middle aged man building and flying is creepy but its perfecly acceptable to wear a primary colored jersey with another mans name on it while screaming at a tv because other grown men are chasing a ball around? No wonder our society is in a downward spiral... SMH

It is a shame so many land owners are hesitant to allow access, there are a lot of places people could safely fly, but i understand. People are so litigation happy these days its a big risk for land owners. It costs me a fortune to have enough insurance to cover the liability of having hunting and fishing on my place. But if you ever find yourself in NE Wyoming look me up, got a ton of places to fly! Lol

Love my little timber but its getting pretty beat up, thinking its about time to try out that turbo timber 😁

Most of the town folk here are dairy farmers so thats all they know. So toys and hobbies that were not farm related in such a depressed area I assume were not well promoted like normal towns. Nice thing now is the farmers are seeing tech as a tool and are a bit less set in their ways against it.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
after "maidening" the airplane (a thoroughly unenjoyable experience due to the propeller!)

LMAO

I usually have the former diseased Apple orchard to myself, which is odd, usually people love diseased apples and ticks and snakes. More for me I guess.

LMAO

LMAO

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@PsyBorg : show them farmers what a drone with FPV can do for their operations, get them hooked......just ask @Hondo76251 or @The Hangar

Crud I'm 67 years old, flying "toys" (oops I mean serious aerodynamic test equipment)

That would require part 107 to do and I refuse to EVER pay another insurance for ANYTHING. Cant ride the bus that ran me over and destroyed my life.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
If youre just showing what it COULD do you're not technically "furthering a business" yet...
1knrzj.jpg