• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Launch Dolly

I built a FT P-38 a while ago but have resisted a maiden because I fly alone and a hand launch of almost 60 inches seems a little too much. I decided to research launch dollies and stumbled across a $25 plastic Red Flyer wagon that would do the trick. Some foam board, a 97 cent pool noodle, and some hot glue gave me something to start testing.

IMG_4197.jpeg

Here is a link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Radio-Flyer-My-1st-2-in-1-Play-Wagon-Push-Walker-Red/51799543

Attachments

Yeah in the same boat, not great at hand launching and this is the only way I think that I am going to be able to maiden my P-38, great idea!

Yeah in the same boat, not great at hand launching and this is the only way I think that I am going to be able to maiden my P-38, great idea!
The only issues I have had are getting it started on grass (some up elevator to keep it from tipping forward), and disconnect for lift off.

The disconnect part is something I am working on because some models seem to stick to the vertical pool noodles. I have noticed that if the model does not want to lift off because it has too much forward pressure on the vertical pool noodles, sometimes a quick down movement and then back up on throttle will release the forward pressure.

I need to test without vertical pool noodles to see if that makes a difference but I was trying to keep from potentially denting foam board. FT's homemade dolly looks like it has paint sticks for the vertical part, which might work better.

The only issues I have had are getting it started on grass (some up elevator to keep it from tipping forward), and disconnect for lift off.

The disconnect part is something I am working on because some models seem to stick to the vertical pool noodles. I have noticed that if the model does not want to lift off because it has too much forward pressure on the vertical pool noodles, sometimes a quick down movement and then back up on throttle will release the forward pressure. I need to test without vertical pool noodles to see if that makes a difference but I was trying to keep from potentially denting foam board.
Thanks for the insight, time to build one of these, getting tired of just seeing the P-38 hanging from the ceiling in the hangar

CrshNBrn

Thanks for sharing your experience, Cappy. I'll post here whenever I build mine for the good of the cause.

A little off topic, but I find hand launching my P-38 to be one of the easiest MS planes to do. I hold it underneath the cockpit and with the differential thrust at about 50%, it just floats out straight with only a light toss. Lots of time to get on the sticks; nothing like the torque rolls of some of the other planes. For example my MS P-47 launch is still hairy sometimes, even after a year of pretty regular flying.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Cappy. I'll post here whenever I build mine for the good of the cause.

A little off topic, but I find hand launching my P-38 to be one of the easiest MS planes to do. I hold it underneath the cockpit and with the differential thrust at about 50%, it just floats out straight with only a light toss. Lots of time to get on the sticks; nothing like the torque rolls of some of the other planes. For example my MS P-47 launch is still hairy sometimes, even after a year of pretty regular flying.
You know I think all that it is with that plane is that its kind of the jewel in my hangar and I just want to have the best opportunity to put it in the air. But thats a couple of times now that I have heard it is an easy launcher so maybe I just got to gather a little more intestinal fortitude and go for it, worst that can happen is that I have to repair it, right? Build , fly, crash, repeat