Launch Dolly

CappyAmeric

Elite member
I built a FT P-38 a while ago but have resisted a maiden because I fly alone and a hand launch of almost 60 inches seems a little too much. I decided to research launch dollies and stumbled across a $25 plastic Red Flyer wagon that would do the trick. Some foam board, a 97 cent pool noodle, and some hot glue gave me something to start testing.

IMG_4197.jpeg

Here is a link: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Radio-Flyer-My-1st-2-in-1-Play-Wagon-Push-Walker-Red/51799543

Attachments

• IMG_4197.jpeg
    IMG_4197.jpeg
    401.9 KB · Views: 0

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Yeah in the same boat, not great at hand launching and this is the only way I think that I am going to be able to maiden my P-38, great idea!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Yeah in the same boat, not great at hand launching and this is the only way I think that I am going to be able to maiden my P-38, great idea!
The only issues I have had are getting it started on grass (some up elevator to keep it from tipping forward), and disconnect for lift off.

The disconnect part is something I am working on because some models seem to stick to the vertical pool noodles. I have noticed that if the model does not want to lift off because it has too much forward pressure on the vertical pool noodles, sometimes a quick down movement and then back up on throttle will release the forward pressure.

I need to test without vertical pool noodles to see if that makes a difference but I was trying to keep from potentially denting foam board. FT's homemade dolly looks like it has paint sticks for the vertical part, which might work better.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
The only issues I have had are getting it started on grass (some up elevator to keep it from tipping forward), and disconnect for lift off.

The disconnect part is something I am working on because some models seem to stick to the vertical pool noodles. I have noticed that if the model does not want to lift off because it has too much forward pressure on the vertical pool noodles, sometimes a quick down movement and then back up on throttle will release the forward pressure. I need to test without vertical pool noodles to see if that makes a difference but I was trying to keep from potentially denting foam board.
Thanks for the insight, time to build one of these, getting tired of just seeing the P-38 hanging from the ceiling in the hangar

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
I seem to kind of remember Flite Test building something similar recently and I think it was to launch an ME-262 if I am remembering correctly

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Thanks for sharing your experience, Cappy. I'll post here whenever I build mine for the good of the cause.

A little off topic, but I find hand launching my P-38 to be one of the easiest MS planes to do. I hold it underneath the cockpit and with the differential thrust at about 50%, it just floats out straight with only a light toss. Lots of time to get on the sticks; nothing like the torque rolls of some of the other planes. For example my MS P-47 launch is still hairy sometimes, even after a year of pretty regular flying.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Thanks for sharing your experience, Cappy. I'll post here whenever I build mine for the good of the cause.

A little off topic, but I find hand launching my P-38 to be one of the easiest MS planes to do. I hold it underneath the cockpit and with the differential thrust at about 50%, it just floats out straight with only a light toss. Lots of time to get on the sticks; nothing like the torque rolls of some of the other planes. For example my MS P-47 launch is still hairy sometimes, even after a year of pretty regular flying.
You know I think all that it is with that plane is that its kind of the jewel in my hangar and I just want to have the best opportunity to put it in the air. But thats a couple of times now that I have heard it is an easy launcher so maybe I just got to gather a little more intestinal fortitude and go for it, worst that can happen is that I have to repair it, right? Build , fly, crash, repeat

Crophopper

Cool idea. I'm building the new Retro Rocket with EDF power and no gear. Not worried about landing. Getting into the air is what I want to explore. Anyone launching the Retro Rocket with no gear? The EDF is heavier so does it work? How? Thanks!

CrshNBrn

Elite member
Here's a little homemade dolly I use to launch my F-18, and it's a big ol' dual EDF monster. Anything similar should be able to handle the Retro Rocket.

Attachments

• 20231225_082539.jpg
    20231225_082539.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231225_082531.jpg
    20231225_082531.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0