Lazertoyz"beef" package 20amp ESC a little on the small side?

chriscal

Hello all,

I'm relatively new to the hobby so maybe I'm missing something but is the 20amp ESC in the lazertoyz beef package for the sipfire a little light?

I hooked up a meeter and I'm pulling 21amps at full throttle with all the supplied equipment including the prop.

The kit has
(1)1 Emax GT2215-09 1180KV 2.25 lbs thrust (includes prop adapter)
(2) 9X6 Emax props
(1) Lazertoyz 20 Amp ESC
(4) Emax Budget Servos
(1) 12" "Y" Servo Connector
(4) EZ-links ( 2 packs of 2)
(1)1300 Mah Lipo 20C discharge and 5 C charge rate

The motor specs show it pulls 24-26amps with a 10x6 and 10x4.7 so 21 with a 9x6 seems about right.

I keep hearing about the 20% rule. Should I be concerned?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
That does sound like the ESC is the wrong capacity for that prop/motor/battery combination (assuming it's a 3S?).

I have the same motor bought from Lazertoyz with a 20a ESC and an 8x4 prop for the VersaWing and on my Watt meter, it only pulls 15-16A at WOT. So, a 9x6 seems too much for the 20A

Bolvon72

Mentor
I don't like that at all. I have never bought the lazertoys kits, I figured the minimum esc for that sized motor would be a 25amp, mind you that's minimum, I would go 30. What worries me is they include 9x6 props with an underrated esc, like they are setting you up for failure. I guess I'll be sticking with Altitude hobbies.

crash bandicoot

I would put an 8x4 on it or a 9x4. I don't know if you'll have the KV to get a 9"x6" prop to work well, you'll have to firewall it. I prefer to curuise around though.

Lavochkin

Perhaps you got a mis-packaged kit. I got the beef package and it has the 9X6 prop and a 30 amp ESC. It can't hurt to get in touch with them about this.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Looking at the item list, it seems it is supposed to have a 20A ESC:

https://www.lazertoyz.com/Swappable-Spit-Powerelectronics-pack-THE-BEEF-_p_441.html

(1)1 Emax GT2215-09 1180KV 2.25 lbs thrust (includes prop adapter)
(2) 9X6 Emax props
(1) Lazertoyz 20 Amp ESC

Odd... I see the P51 kit (I suspect that's coming soon from FliteTest?) has the same stuff.

I would email them to ask why their stuff includes a 20A ESC when you can bench test it and draw over that... granted, if you're actually flying through air, the draw would be less, even at WOT, I would still want more headspace.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I've pointed them to the post and asked if the ESC is big enough. Their reply:

if you use the recommended 9x6 prop it only pulls 18 amps if you want more power upgrade to the 30 amp (this is an option) and prop it up !! awesome power. Just trying to keep the price down for newbees.

Balu