Let's get some servo rails in - this one for the elevator servo...
And now the rudder servo
Now to start on the front end more. First these hard balsa longerons sticking out front to hold onto the nose
Then there were four. The instructions say to "crack them to make the angle" - seems odd, but it worked
Now gluing on the nose cheeks to those longerons - the firewall isn't glued in yet...
The parts as assembled seemed to fit nicely, but created at least 5 degrees of left thrust at the firewall - and that's just not right. Not on the plans that way either. So after a little sanding, measuring, leveling, and squaring up the firewall is now perpendicular to the center of the fuselage, and getting glued in.
The plans call for epoxy here, but I'm just going with weld-bond and some extra 1/8" supports as fillets in the front and back corners. Should be plenty strong (famous last words, I know...)
Now for the doublers on the top of the fuselage, the backplate of the nose, and the single stick on the top that holds things in alignment there.
I need to bend some sheeting to finish off the top and bottom of the nose and rough seat the motor and esc. Not sure if I'm going to try this crazy "rubber band mounted motor" idea in the instructions or not yet...
I think I did that whole nah nah nah nah na nah nah nah nah na nan ah CLAMP MAN! batman spoof thing a while back but I think it was in pm's. I then pointed him to new type of home made clamps to try or add to his collection to feed the addiction.
I didn't notice the plywood layer of the cabin roof was supposed to be 1/8" down from the top of the fuselage, so instead of plywood on the bottom and balsa on top, I'm putting it in the other way around.
And finishing up the bottom sheeting...
Rather then using the ammonia to bend the nose sheeting on the frame and potentially soften up that, I wrapped the sheets around a handy can that's close to the right size to dry.
Once they dried with the curve, it was simple to trim to a rough fit and glue them in place.
Added in the blocking around the upper front window frame and CA'd some thread around the bamboo skewer per instructions.
Also went to the flying field for a bit this afternoon. Winds gusting to 20mph but had a couple fun flights anyway. Here's my NuBee, a knock off design inspired by Andy Clancy's Speedy Bee, getting a little sunshine today.
Looks good. I wonder if there's a 1/2A version of this plane? I might build that, to put some of my ridiculous stockpile of Cox engines to work
Is there a plastic windshield included with the kit or do you make it using clear covering? I see some builders will add a fillet along the bottom edge of the windshield with some extra sheeting behind it to make covering film behave better in the area where it meets the front turtle deck.
Thank you! It's fun, and I try to improve or try something new on each one
On this one it's time to set all the hardware & electrics in place and see if she balances - big silly shocks and tires added, and a motor capable of 300-ish watts on 9x6 w/ 4s (10x6 prop pictured, going to be too big and dig into the grass on landing)
And she balances perfectly with a 3s1300! There's a little more hardware to go in the front with the wheel collars, but the covering will add some weight to the back too. Feeling really good about the balance on this!
And for the weight - no covering, control rods, hinges, wheel collars, or wiring to the tail lights yet, but 29.2 oz! I'm curious to see how much the covering and paint adds especially, but it's in a good place right now. Even if it shoots up to 36 ounces that's only 2.25 pounds, and with a 3s battery on 9x6 prop it should easily be in the 80 watts per pound range.