Lazy Bee 2020

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Use the plastic from the containers fruit comes in. Its pretty thick so would be plenty durable yet still bendable and flexible enough to shape easily. Its free with the fruit so you get health benefits as well. Blueberries, strawberries all that comes in some decent clear plastic with good size flat space to use for windows. I have a few saved up myself just for that purpose.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
For the windows I would do some print outs of like Daffy Duck and other cartoon characters and glue to the inside of the mylar.

I like that idea!

Use the plastic from the containers fruit comes in. Its pretty thick so would be plenty durable yet still bendable and flexible enough to shape easily. Its free with the fruit so you get health benefits as well. Blueberries, strawberries all that comes in some decent clear plastic with good size flat space to use for windows. I have a few saved up myself just for that purpose.

Another great idea!

Wifey is going to be wondering why all the strawberries are sitting in the fridge in a plastic baggie tonight! :ROFLMAO:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Here's a fun little suspension test :)

And with the wing on - 4 rubber bands seems to hold nicely!
PXL_20210130_025108567_copy_1280x960.jpg

That little black line at the wing / fuselage joint is a line of weather striping - keeps the wing from moving and gives it a little cushion.
PXL_20210130_025118919_copy_1280x960.jpg

The proportions on this thing are just ridiculous...
PXL_20210130_025144790_copy_1280x960.jpg

I finished up the wiring harness and battery hold downs (just velcro for the moment) and couldn't resist a full light test.
PXL_20210130_205347153_copy_1280x960.jpg

PXL_20210130_205358447_copy_1280x960.jpg

The view from below - should work pretty well at night!
PXL_20210130_205427763_copy_1280x960.jpg

Updated punch list...

X Install ESC
X Add foam padding to top of fuselage for wing
X Add plug for wing lights to connect to main lighting harness
- Balance
- Final battery placement and hold down
- Radio programming and set control throws
- Go fly!
- Black pinstriping?
- Windows?

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Here's a fun little suspension test :)

And with the wing on - 4 rubber bands seems to hold nicely!
View attachment 190805

That little black line at the wing / fuselage joint is a line of weather striping - keeps the wing from moving and gives it a little cushion.
View attachment 190807

The proportions on this thing are just ridiculous...
View attachment 190806

I finished up the wiring harness and battery hold downs (just velcro for the moment) and couldn't resist a full light test.
View attachment 190808

View attachment 190809

The view from below - should work pretty well at night!
View attachment 190810

Updated punch list...

X Install ESC
X Add foam padding to top of fuselage for wing
X Add plug for wing lights to connect to main lighting harness
- Balance
- Final battery placement and hold down
- Radio programming and set control throws
- Go fly!
- Black pinstriping?
- Windows?
I love it man, that looks awesome!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
That rocking back and forth on the shocks made me giggle. all I could do was picture overweight cartoon characters waddling as they walk with silly cartoony music playing in my head.

Im not sure if its me or just watching what others do but the more I think about what goes thru my head at times makes me wonder just how broken I really am :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Its funny on paper but when you see the frequency and theme things I spout occur... Makes on go hrmmm...

I BLAMEZ YOU!!!! enabler

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks guys! And yeah, that tubby little waddle feeling is exactly what I was hoping for on this build. :LOL:

At balance time she took a lot more weight up front that I hoped, but with the lighting in the tail it sort of makes sense. 2 oz total lead in the nose with a 3s2200 battery slide way forward. However, even with that weight, she's only 2.4 pounds - the plans don't have a specific target weight, but between 2 and 3 pounds seems to be pretty common from what I've found online.

With 540 sq inches of wing area, this puts the model at a wing loading of 10.7 oz/sq ft and a cube loading of 5.4 which are both at the low end of the trainer & park flyer ranges. http://www.flyrc.com/wing-load-calculator/ Perhaps with the airfoil of the horizontal stabilizer I'll be able to remove some of the nose weight too, but I'll need to get her up in the air to see about that.

PXL_20210131_222445854.jpg

I'm torn between continuing with some decorative pin stripes and windows and eyeballs before the maiden flight, and making sure she flys first. But I did find a spot to hang the fuselage up for storage, but still need to do better on the wing storage...

PXL_20210131_224606041.jpg

And yes, that's a fern moved into the shop for winter storage. :(