Lazy Bee 2020

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Thinking about how to do some yellow submarine passengers in the windows...
View attachment 191744

Print out a copy of the album cover and manipulate the Beatle heads and print to size.

I found this maybe you can take inspiration from it.

YELLOW-SUBMARINE-TITANS.jpg

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
She flies!

Needs a little more nose weight, a smaller prop (she's overpowered for sure) and a day when the wind isn't gusting so much for me to get a good feel for flying her. But she's certainly a keeper :)

I also think it's a little funny that I started out making a timelapse build video and then completely forgot about doing that until I had shot the maiden video, loaded it up for editing, and found the project already started. :ROFLMAO:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I've done that a few times with the time lapse. I get like maybe the basic construction filmed and then completely forget about it until after the maiden flight. One of these days I'll remember and get a whole video published...

Maiden looked good though. A guy local to me has a couple of NIB kits for sale. Real tempted to get one...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
She flies!

Needs a little more nose weight, a smaller prop (she's overpowered for sure) and a day when the wind isn't gusting so much for me to get a good feel for flying her. But she's certainly a keeper :)

I also think it's a little funny that I started out making a timelapse build video and then completely forgot about doing that until I had shot the maiden video, loaded it up for editing, and found the project already started. :ROFLMAO:
Congrats on the successful maiden, it looks awesome in the air!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I've done that a few times with the time lapse. I get like maybe the basic construction filmed and then completely forget about it until after the maiden flight. One of these days I'll remember and get a whole video published...

Maiden looked good though. A guy local to me has a couple of NIB kits for sale. Real tempted to get one...

Kits for sale? Buy them up! :)

Congrats on the successful maiden, it looks awesome in the air!

Thanks!

@rockyboy - awesome - now you can build a 300% version! :)

If I only had a trailer to transport one like that... *sigh*

It took off, it flew and it missed the fence on the landing! No glue needed. Congratulations on a successful maiden flight.

Very true - no glue needed and ready to fly again - can't ask for more than that! :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Kits for sale? Buy them up! :)

Thanks!

If I only had a trailer to transport one like that... *sigh*

Very true - no glue needed and ready to fly again - can't ask for more than that! :)

Noticed the Beatles were not able to make their departure times. Care to comment? Are they breaking up? Are there personality clashes happening? Inquiring minds want to know!!!

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I was looking at that one for a while too (and some of their Baby Pattern Planes)- how's the quality of the kit look?

Yes you do, and yes it is! :)

So here's a copy of that neat hand-drawn and manually type set instruction manual I mentioned - it's a fun work of art!

View attachment 181893

And here's the step I'm working on now...
View attachment 181894

Last night I did get the rudder and elevator laminations clamped up to dry. All three of these will be ready to glue today, and then I'll need to do another wing tip for the other side.
View attachment 181895
I have the original Manuals in yellow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Turbojoe

Elite member
I have an appointment at the Phoenix VA Medical Center tomorrow (4/22). After I'm done there I've already had contact with Andy and I'll be stopping by his place in Mesa (literally less than 100yards from the home I just sold) to pick up a Lazy Bee "Special" kit and Trexler wheels. I bought a Lazy Bee kit way back in 2002-2003 and started on the laminations before a buddy threatened bodily harm if I didn't sell it to him. What the heck I had plenty of kits waiting to be built so I GAVE it to him. I've heard for a few years from other fliers that Andy had passed away. Well, Andy assures me he is still alive and kicking! I can't wait to meet this living R/C legend in person. I'm giddy with anticipation. Health problems are still keeping me from getting everything unpacked and the build room setup so it may be another month or two before I can start the build but it'll be first on the boards.

MANY, MANY thanks rockyboy for your most excellent build thread! I'll likely refer to it many times for some of your tips and trips for my build when I can get started on it.

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I initially had no plans to add LED's but after thinking it through that may be a lot of fun. The open Sonoran desert is literally right across the street from me all the way to Mexico. I wonder how many UFO reports I could cause being called in to all two Arizona City Police officers. LOL. AZ City is beyond tiny and has just over 11,000 residents........

I've finally gotten my 3D printer completely sorted and will be looking to see how many Lazy Bee parts I can print just for the heck of it. If I come up with something cool I'll post up the .stl files for those that may want to print and try them.

Joe

Piotrsko

Master member
To do it right, you REALLY need some of those British strobe LEDs either flashing or on constant. Visible at a couple of miles.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I just got home from Andy's with my Lazy Bee Special kit and Trexlers for a killer deal. Andy is about as laid back and cool as they come. Showed me around the shop and some of his CAD work on the computer. I guess his sales are pretty good as he had to put a kit together for me. He's also trying to keep up with the updated Speedy Bee orders. I didn't ask him but I hope he brings back the entire Bee lineup. I'd love to have a Stagger Bee.

Joe