Leading Edge Repair

Cobra1365

So, first build, I cut a little deep on the leading edge fold. When I rolled it back, the paper split in a 5-6 inch area on the right wing. Unfortunately, it’s not a nice even slice that will lay together easily. What’s the best way to repair? I’m thinking packing tape along the leading edge?

Cobra1365

I plan on using red tape for the finished scheme. So, I could just run a line of the colored tape along the leading edge.

Thanks!

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I plan on using red tape for the finished scheme. So, I could just run a line of the colored tape along the leading edge.

Thanks!
Yeah! Basically as long as it replaces the cut paper fine your golden! I try to lay the foam flat when I do it because if you don't the wing gets a little blister thing on the LE.

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
It sucks to try to paint over lol. You have to scuff it up and I really dislike doing that. :LOL:
Yep, it isn’t easy to paint over, but I have only painted one of my planes anyways. Also, that specific plane was easy to lose sight of and the shiny leading edge caused glare that allowed me to spot it when I lost sight. What do you use to scuff it up though, I don’t want any shininess on my next plane...

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Yep, it isn’t easy to paint over, but I have only painted one of my planes anyways. Also, that specific plane was easy to lose sight of and the shiny leading edge caused glare that allowed me to spot it when I lost sight. What do you use to scuff it up though, I don’t want any shininess on my next plane...
I've gotten to the point where the paint job is almost as important as the plane to me! :D Steel wool works pretty well but some light sandpaper works well and is easier.

jeremy2001

Have you guys turned to kinda "professional" help if having the same trouble with something being broken?
It's interesting how I have never thought I would go for someone's help because I am always on my own. And once I was at my friends' house and his son asked me to repair his plane and when I was going towards him I stepped on the ladder and held on to the railing and I broke it. No idea how, but thankfully I knew a mate from maxima-aluminum.com who could help me maintain these existing railings, which were damaged by me. So far they look great and are performing as advertised.

Last edited: