• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

LEADING EDGE VARIABLE FLAPS FOR FIGHTER PLANES (LEVF)

L Edge

Back in 2012, a video blew my mind to see the shorter takeoffs, sharper turns, high alpha approaches and slower landings for fighters.
Started to explore how I could duplicate that and ended up with the transmitter mix initially. As time progressed over the years, learn to automate this with trailing edge flaps!!!, and would now like to have a flight controller program change the angle producing the max lift using a pitot tube.(airspeed)

Someone start off with a definition of calling it Leading Edge Flaps so I just added the word "variable" because the pilot's throttle is going to control it on takeoff and landings up to 1/2 throttle. From 1/2 to full throttle, the levf stays at zero degrees so you can go fast if you desire. Watch the 2 videos next and track the leading edge to see what I mean. There are many videos on Youtube showing this and use the word cockpit view to home in. By the way, that is my call sign (L Edge) on this site.

Video of flight of a LEVF jet.

Now will show the evolution of what happened. First of all, decided to use my trusty F-22 that I used with a number of experiments so I have a good base knowledge of how it flies. Had an old 72 radio with a throttle graph where the output goes to the servo which starts off level, increase the throttle and the levf start to go down to about 1/3 or better and then as it advances it sharply retracts so at 1/2 throttle on, it is flat. This was designed to test on landings only. By the way, found out some of the jets start out with a + 5 degrees on takeoff to improve the flow under the wing. Can I do it ?

The next video looks like a drunkin pilot who tosses, yanks it around and then tries to get the feel of it on landing. You begin to see what happens in turns, stability and how much different it flies. (I call it my carrier landings. Can I put it down and catch the 2nd wire?) I wanted to look at the flight envelope and see what happens.