LEADING EDGE VARIABLE FLAPS FOR FIGHTER PLANES (LEVF)

L Edge

Master member
Back in 2012, a video blew my mind to see the shorter takeoffs, sharper turns, high alpha approaches and slower landings for fighters.
Started to explore how I could duplicate that and ended up with the transmitter mix initially. As time progressed over the years, learn to automate this with trailing edge flaps!!!, and would now like to have a flight controller program change the angle producing the max lift using a pitot tube.(airspeed)

Someone start off with a definition of calling it Leading Edge Flaps so I just added the word "variable" because the pilot's throttle is going to control it on takeoff and landings up to 1/2 throttle. From 1/2 to full throttle, the levf stays at zero degrees so you can go fast if you desire. Watch the 2 videos next and track the leading edge to see what I mean. There are many videos on Youtube showing this and use the word cockpit view to home in. By the way, that is my call sign (L Edge) on this site.

Watch how the LEVFlaps move on takeoff and landings giving the plane max lift at any pitch angle as well as rear flaps.. I will show another video later on doing the same as well as tight turns. My first attempt was just having a fixed lowered flap and tried every 5 degrees fro zero to down 30 degrees. Mine seem to work best at 25 degrees.

Then moved to programming a kk2 flight controller and the hopes of having the flaps come down as well. Concept was based on as the nose pitch goes up, the internal gyro would lower the LEVflap back to the reference horizontal axis. It was designed so there was no movement of the LEVflap above the wing and a max of 30 degrees even if the nose pitch is greater than 30 degrees.

Now will show the evolution of what happened. First of all, decided to use my trusty F-22 that I used with a number of experiments so I have a good base knowledge of how it flies. Had an old 72 radio with a throttle graph where the output goes to the servo which starts off level, increase the throttle and the levf start to go down to about 1/3 or better and then as it advances it sharply retracts so at 1/2 throttle on, it is flat. This was designed to test on landings only. By the way, found out some of the jets start out with a + 5 degrees on takeoff to improve the flow under the wing. Can I do it ?

The next video looks like a drunkin pilot who tosses, yanks it around and then tries to get the feel of it on landing. You begin to see what happens in turns, stability and how much different it flies. (I call it my carrier landings. Can I put it down and catch the 2nd wire?) I wanted to look at the flight envelope and see what happens. So, it seemed to work, but how could an average pilot use it since the kk2 is a lot of work to understand it.

Here is a video where you can see the LEVFlap changes(watch the wing tip) from TO, doing turns to landing. Now working on getting to examine what happens if I can trigger the flaps to also move to really shorten TO and landings.

Last edited:

L Edge

Master member
Now have come up with a way to drop the flaps as well as a new way to trigger LEVF's so maybe a way to actually be able to actually add that to scaling a jet. After exploring possibilities, the answer is just adding a Guardian gyro and flight modes to the jet. The modes will give no flaps, TO flap deflection and landing flaps and the gyro will control the limits of zero to 25 degree deflection.

All I need is the rain to stop so I can do some flight testing.

Last edited: