Learning Curve for today's RC planes

airheadbit

50 years ago I built many balsa gliders and enjoyed it (from what I can remember). After retiring I thought that the FPV stuff look like fun so I found a FX-79 and the recommended parts and ordered them. Figured a FrSky X9D Plus would be fun to learn and purchased one (Took a few days longer to learn than I thought it would take). The plane arrived and I discovered I needed some tools and different adhesives to assemble it, ordered them. Got the plane assembled and discovered the nose was too light, it appeared the motor stuck out to far on the mount so I used a head gun to warm up the hot glue... needless to say I have a new rule: No heat gun around Styrofoam, ever.
After all that I discovered the battery was too small, running a second one put enough weight forward, I also learned 3-6S does NOT mean 3 6S batteries, it means 3S to 6S batteries!
Watching the YouTube videos to learn how to launch the plane it appeared a bungee launch system was in order so I ordered on, the first try at a launch the plane made it off the ramp and was dragged a few feet. I moved the anchor point out 2 meters and while seating the bungee on the foot pedal the bungee broke free of the anchor, the hand holding the bungee was smacked with the ring producing a nice round bloody circle, the bungee launcher was retired.
I tried to hand launch the plane but as I increased the throttle the prop fell off. Seems the prop that was recommended is a CW prop but the folding prop I had purchased was CCW, I needed a left hand threaded prop adaptor. I put the recommended prop on just so I could get the maiden flight done, got setup and throttled the motor up then released the plane. It went up then curved in a perfect arc into the ground. I gathered up all the parts and noticed my flaps were down, looking at the X9D, SE was down instead of being in the middle.....

1. Nothing is as easy as it looks on YouTube
2. No heat gun around Styrofoam, ever
3. Ask to see the directions before purchase
4. Buy two planes for spare parts
5. Read the seller's description closely to make sure what you think it is, is.
6. Do NOT attempt to carry the plane and transmitter out of a building while live.
6. Setup table next to where you will be launching for transmitter and carry it to the table, turned off, before bringing the plane out.
7. Check all control surfaces before launching!

After much Google-Fu I gave up on left handed threads for a prop adapter, nylon lock nut and I can use my folding props.

daxian

Elite member
hi airheadbit....
welcome to the forums ,sounds like you made a good start,and a good set of rules to continue ..
well done and long may you continue to do so !!!Happy building and smooth flights !

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Welcome to the forum :) The learning curve is indeed steep, but there is also a ton of satisfaction that comes with a successful maiden. If you want to see how deep the rabbit hole really is, start looking into multirotors, you'll never be bored again ;)