Learning to fly

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone new where to buddy box in Portland Oregon. I am a beginner and keep crashing my plane and thing I should try a new approach to learning how to fly.:)

Vimana89

Legendary member
Have you tried any of the simulators there are some free ones out there?
I second this. There is a very basic free sim called Multiflight and they have 3ch RET, AET, elevons, 4ch, flying wing, biplanes, 3d flyers, basically most of your standard types of RC planes and control schemes you will encounter, and you can try them all free and crashing costs you nothing. Even with the keyboard and without wind conditions or perfect exact physics, it still gives you a genuine feel and muscle memory for different RC planes and how they handle.

jfaleo1

All good ideas. Finding a local club is, in my opinion, the best idea in any case. It will allow you to make a few friends and find someone to help you out and get you flying.

Oh and I love the avatar, I had house rabbits for years, including a couple of fantastic lops.

Jabberwo

Can you experienced folks talk more about these simulators? I need a transmitter I assume? I have no gear yet -- I've been watching FT videos for a couple of months and finally bough some foam and started making a mess in my dinning room this week!

thanks,
Jab

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Can you experienced folks talk more about these simulators? I need a transmitter I assume? I have no gear yet -- I've been watching FT videos for a couple of months and finally bough some foam and started making a mess in my dinning room this week!

thanks,
Jab
I would recommend going on eBay and searching “RealFlight used” I use RealFlight G4 and it’s pretty good. You can get a package that includes the simulator software and a controller for $80 on eBay. It’ll really help with getting a feel for flying. Note that the transmitter won’t work with your airplanes - it is still just the same setup as what you would use, just plugs into your computer via usb. It is possible to use a transmitter by purchasing a wireless usb dongle and pairing it to like a Spektrum transmitter. That way you have the exact same setup, it is just a little more pricey at first, but then you don’t have to buy a separate transmitter later. Just let me know if you want more information on that. What are you building?

Jabberwo

I would recommend going on eBay and searching “RealFlight used” ... What are you building?
Thanks for the eBay tip.

I finished cutting out all the parts (printed the tiled plans) for the Chuck Glider last night. But didn't get to glue it up tonight because the kiddo screwed her knee at Ninja class requiring a visit to urgent care...