Help! LED wiring

Weird question but I want to see if I can recycle my LED light kit I bought for my actual car. It runs off of 5 amps and has a built in control, I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to run it in a rc plane. Either wired directly in or even just running its own battery could work?

Attachments

• 20201125_182721.jpg
    20201125_182721.jpg
    861.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20201125_182745.jpg
    20201125_182745.jpg
    763.1 KB · Views: 0

leaded50

Legendary member
if get the power it needs, of course . Car systems are normally 12V though, but gets ok on eg. a 3S battery. To get controller remote by reviver is another thing, ptoblematic. You can use a channel to open/shut a realy though for on/off (you get such ones for RC models)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I power my 12v LED’s from my 3S flight pack. I made a plug to attach to the batteries balance lead. When I want lights, just plug them in.

cdfigueredo

Elite member
I power my 12v LED’s from my 3S flight pack. I made a plug to attach to the batteries balance lead. When I want lights, just plug them in.
Could u please upload a picture???? please!!!!!
And how do u conect the battery voltage checker then? or u dont use it at all?

Timmy

Legendary member
thats what I do.
The thing I'm pointing at connects to the 3s battery. I couldn't get a picture of the rest of the wiring because its all inside the wings.

Attachments

• P1140561.JPG
    P1140561.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • P1140562.JPG
    P1140562.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Could u please upload a picture???? please!!!!!
And how do u conect the battery voltage checker then? or u dont use it at all?

Use some 4 pin jst-xh connectors. Use the 2 outer pins & remove the other the others. Solder some wires to your LED’s and plug into your batteries balance plug.

4FF0267A-F77D-4EC9-89C2-2C5894515773.jpeg

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Ok. will se if i can find some 4 pin jst-xh connectors to make a Y cable. using battery checker for me is a must
If you are using your balance plug for the cell checker. It may be easier for you to make a Y connecter from the power plug. Or a separate 12 v battery.

I use the balance plug on the battery because it’s easy for me. Any 12v source will work.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Why not just use one of the old style pdb's from quads. You have a main input and four pack voltage unregulated ports to pull from as well as filtered 5v and 12v regulators for other things more dependent on constant voltage like fpv gear and leds. Some even had led controllers on them if I remember correctly.

Why not just use one of the old style pdb's from quads. You have a main input and four pack voltage unregulated ports to pull from as well as filtered 5v and 12v regulators for other things more dependent on constant voltage like fpv gear and leds. Some even had led controllers on them if I remember correctly.
Also not a bad idea. I have a couple of old drones sitting around too so i should have parts

if get the power it needs, of course . Car systems are normally 12V though, but gets ok on eg. a 3S battery. To get controller remote by reviver is another thing, ptoblematic. You can use a channel to open/shut a realy though for on/off (you get such ones for RC models)
See i was wondering if a 3 cell would work. The only thing is i am building a glider with a edf. Sure it has thrust but i want to keep the whole rig as light as possible for high altitude night gliding