• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Lee's Private Pilot License Journey

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin
I've started my journey toward getting my PPL. As I am going through this journey, I will be posting here to let everyone who wants to follow along. My plan right now is to complete ground school by Spring '23, while it's colder weather here in Ohio, and start flying when it begins to warm up. I'm excited to share this journey with everyone, and maybe even inspire someone to get their PPL. Please feel free to ask any questions (on topic) along the way. I'm happy to share!

Taildragger

Legendary member
I've started my journey toward getting my PPL. As I am going through this journey, I will be posting here to let everyone who wants to follow along. My plan right now is to complete ground school by Spring '23, while it's colder weather here in Ohio, and start flying when it begins to warm up. I'm excited to share this journey with everyone, and maybe even inspire someone to get their PPL. Please feel free to ask any questions (on topic) along the way. I'm happy to share!
You and me will be pretty close! I'm hoping to pass my checkride in late summer '24.

Draftman1

Congrats on the journey.
I have had my ppl since 2013, instrument for 5 yrs and commercial for little over a year.
It’s been a wonderful journey and I love to fly.
It’s a lot of work and takes dedication, enjoy the process and it is not a race, don’t be an hour watcher,

Mr NCT

Elite member
Don't rule out flying in the winter, nice thick smooth air.

Bo123

Elite member
Another student pilot! I’m in australia, so we have something called recreation aviation australia. It is basically just Light Sport Aircraft, but is governed and managed by a seperate association (not out government one). I am getting my Recreation pilots certificate, and should be done around feb 2024. Good luck lee!

Free advise from a former CFI.
Don't string out the flight portion. Wait until you can fly no less than once a week. Otherwise half of every lesson is getting back to where you were.
Also don't pay big bucks for a ground school. If there is a community College thing that is cheap, great, otherwise everything you need is available for free as downloads from the FAA.
If you have a concept that is perplexing you there is help right here and hundreds of other places.
I'd also pass my written before ever starting to fly in ernest.

Draftman1

Amen to that, fly as much as you can.

Get the written done first.

Free advise from a former CFI.
Don't string out the flight portion. Wait until you can fly no less than once a week. Otherwise half of every lesson is getting back to where you were.
Also don't pay big bucks for a ground school. If there is a community College thing that is cheap, great, otherwise everything you need is available for free as downloads from the FAA.
If you have a concept that is perplexing you there is help right here and hundreds of other places.
I'd also pass my written before ever starting to fly in ernest.

LitterBug

Troll Spammer
Would make a GREAT episode to see you and BIX in full scale. There has been talk that there would be some full scale footage in the past,.but not much has come of that.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Edit:. My guess is insurance and/or corporate did not want to allow it...

Last edited: