Lee's Private Pilot License Journey

Tench745

Master member
I'm on a similar journey right now and while I don't know what Lee is up to at the moment I CAN tell you that the FAA can be just as, if not MORE, frustrating for full scale pilots and GA. I went in to get a medical cert (required before you can solo) back in November. The FAA has VERY stringent (and perhaps outdated) regulations regarding the medication you can take. I had one old prescription for medication I no longer take, and I was also taking Zyrtec D for my allergies. Both are banned and resulted in "deferral" to the FAA. So it took about 4 weeks for the FAA to review my application, then they snail-mailed me their questions. I sent back a response within a week (snail-mail only). 3 weeks later someone at the FAA scanned my response into their database. 3 weeks after that someone reviewed it and another letter was sent out with a request for MORE information. I'm still waiting for that one to arrive so I can keep the process rolling. At this point if my next response clears up their concerns the deferral will have added 6 months to the process.

My instructors wisely suggested that I slow-roll flight training just in case the FAA eventually outright rejects my application. For me that would be devastating, BUT the FAA claims that they have about a 99% approval rate for those who stick out the process and jump through all the hoops. I'm "pot committed" here so I won't be giving up no matter what they ask for.

If you're willing to roll the dice you CAN continue flying and training without the medical but without it you'll never get your airman certificate. I may actually go ahead with SOME training and get my tailwheel endorsement (and a few others) even before I get the airman certificate.

Lee mentioned not to pay big bucks for ground school. I did the $279 online program from Sportys (https://www.sportys.com/learn-to-fly-course-private-pilot-test-prep-online-app-and-tv.html) and it was really comprehensive. I prefer the flexibility of online training and can watch the videos pretty much anywhere.

On my commute I will often listen in to radio traffic at our local airports using https://www.liveatc.net/. I'm looking into the various radio comm simulators but there is no substitute for listening in to the real stuff, especially from the airfields you plan to fly from.

Finally, and I freely admit this is overkill in a big way, but flight training IS expensive. Particularly when you are paying for aircraft rental and CFI instruction. For the cost of maybe 10 lessons in the air I built a very basic in-home simulator w/ VR. I'm just using MSFS2020 and I purchased some VERY realistic models of the various aircraft I'm training in. Before a lesson I can read through my textbooks and run the flight on my own. After a lesson I can retrace the flight in the simulator and practice the maneuvers. Plus you can get very familiar with instrument panel layout and walk through your actual checklists and runup procedures. This isn't necessary but I've found it very valuable and enjoyable, particularly as I'm not flying as much as I would like while I wait for the Medical.

Hopefully Lee is having smooth sailing on his journey. I'm happy to share my experiences from the bumpier path.
My dad was an airline pilot before he retired and has lived and breathed flying since he soloed at 16. He had to have a pacemaker put in a few years before retirement; same rigamarole, but his livelihood, and his way of life/ personal identity were on the line. Luckily he had enough sick time to pay the bills and pacemakers aren't too unusual. I think the whole process took about 6 months for him as well.
I say keep up with the flight training, because even if you fail a medical you can still fly Lucile with another pilot, and barring that it's all good stuff to know when flying part 103.

Last edited:

CappyAmeric

Elite member
My dad was an airline pilot before he retire and has lived and breathed flying since he soloed at 16. He had to have a pacemaker put in a few years before retirement; same rigamarole, but his livelihood, and his way of life/ personal identity were on the line. Luckily he had enough sick time to pay the bills and pacemakers aren't too unusual. I think the whole process took about 6 months for him as well.
I say keep up with the flight training, because even if you fail a medical you can still fly Lucile with another pilot, and barring that it's all good stuff to know when flying part 103.
If someone has had a FAA medical before, they may qualify for BasicMed. After establishing it, it requires only your personal doctor to fill out the form. Many of my retired airline friends have BasicMed to keep flying their private aircraft.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Currently beating my head against a wall working on my commercial XCs. Good ol Iowa weather paired with a new airline flying out of our local requiring a whole new TSA badging and screening system has been abysmal.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Currently beating my head against a wall working on my commercial XCs. Good ol Iowa weather paired with a new airline flying out of our local requiring a whole new TSA badging and screening system has been abysmal.
Longer cross-countries, fewer days to have wx mess with you. Take multi-hop to the Atlantic Southeast. Pretty nice wx here most days.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Longer cross-countries, fewer days to have wx mess with you. Take multi-hop to the Atlantic Southeast. Pretty nice wx here most days.
Unfortunately I fly as part of a university so most nights I need to bring their plane back to them. Also duty limitations of 8hrs/day. Plan on doing a run from KDBQ-KINL-KDLH-KDBQ one of these days.

MJSantito

Great adventure! I got into R/C many years ago because the thought of getting my license was financially impossible at the time. A buddy of mine ended up getting his Light Sport rating when those first became available. After talking to him about it and where he got the time and training... I was able to make it work and did it all in a J-3. Of course soon after I got that I finally had the means to add more time and fulfill the requirements for Private. Would do it all over again! But sooner if I could have. 😁