Legacy Motor Question

Byrdman

Good morning! I have a bunch of 2830 200W 1000kv motors with 30A esc's laying around and was wondering if they would make good powerplants for the Legacy. I assume these motors, although a little smaller than the radial "C" will work for most swappable series where a "C" power pack is recommended.

I plan to put it on floats and start out as a 4 chan, single motor then maybe add flaps and make a twin motor wing. I wish they still made the SBK for it.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Good morning! I have a bunch of 2830 200W 1000kv motors with 30A esc's laying around and was wondering if they would make good powerplants for the Legacy. I assume these motors, although a little smaller than the radial "C" will work for most swappable series where a "C" power pack is recommended.

I plan to put it on floats and start out as a 4 chan, single motor then maybe add flaps and make a twin motor wing. I wish they still made the SBK for it.

Thanks!!
A 2830 motor is not smaller than the PPC.... The PPC is 2218 which is smaller than your motor.
They should work perfectly...
Could even possibly swing an 11 or 12" prop....
Maybe, but rather use the recommended props..
Good luck

Byrdman

A 2830 motor is not smaller than the PPC.... The PPC is 2218 which is smaller than your motor.
They should work perfectly...
Could even possibly swing an 11 or 12" prop....
Maybe, but rather use the recommended props..
Good luck

I wish everyone would use the same specs when designing/labeling these motors. My 2830's are 52g, 210W, 1000kv motors and the physical dimensions are 28mm x 30mm. The PPC is 72g and physical size is 28mm x 34mm w/ the 2218 being the stator diameter(22mm) and height(18mm). Just looking at this, it seems the PPC is a little bigger and definitely a little higher kv. Either way, looking at the specs, they are close enough for foam, CEFF, lol...

I also have 4x 2830's that are 800kv that I am planning to use for the 2 motor version swinging 12" props. That should make them fly pretty smooth.

Anyway, thanks for the help!!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
I wish everyone would use the same specs when designing/labeling these motors. My 2830's are 52g, 210W, 1000kv motors and the physical dimensions are 28mm x 30mm. The PPC is 72g and physical size is 28mm x 34mm w/ the 2218 being the stator diameter(22mm) and height(18mm). Just looking at this, it seems the PPC is a little bigger and definitely a little higher kv. Either way, looking at the specs, they are close enough for foam, CEFF, lol...

I also have 4x 2830's that are 800kv that I am planning to use for the 2 motor version swinging 12" props. That should make them fly pretty smooth.

Anyway, thanks for the help!!
oh yea....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:... some of these silly motor manufacturers measure their motor with external dimensions... when we want to know the stator dimensions...

Byrdman

I believe that these motors of yours could potentially be PPB's aka 2212 motors

Yeah, I looked at that one too, but it seems the 2212 is closer to a 2826 and I think I have a few of those in a box. Maybe mine is in-between the two. Without complete performance specs it really is hard to tell.

The first FT plane I built was a Simple Cub with floats and I put one of the 2830 motors on it with a 9x5 prop and since I had not flown in over 10 years, it was really too much for me to handle. It shot off the water in less than 10 feet and was all over the place when I moved the sticks. Luckily, I was able to get it down in one piece and have since built and flown the Tiny Trainer and Mini Scout to get the fingers and brain working again. I am about ready to try the cub again this weekend if the wind will cooperate, but I will try it off land with a 10x4.5 SlowFly prop, throw in some expo and see if that helps tame it down. Also, I have an old control board KK2.0 that I flashed with Open Aero last week to play around with when I start to get out of the "trainer plane" level too.

Have you built and/or flown the Legacy? is it a good plane? Should I go ahead and forget about the single motor and go with the the twin instead?

Thanks for the help!!

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
Yeah, I looked at that one too, but it seems the 2212 is closer to a 2826 and I think I have a few of those in a box. Maybe mine is in-between the two. Without complete performance specs it really is hard to tell.

The first FT plane I built was a Simple Cub with floats and I put one of the 2830 motors on it with a 9x5 prop and since I had not flown in over 10 years, it was really too much for me to handle. It shot off the water in less than 10 feet and was all over the place when I moved the sticks. Luckily, I was able to get it down in one piece and have since built and flown the Tiny Trainer and Mini Scout to get the fingers and brain working again. I am about ready to try the cub again this weekend if the wind will cooperate, but I will try it off land with a 10x4.5 SlowFly prop, throw in some expo and see if that helps tame it down. Also, I have an old control board KK2.0 that I flashed with Open Aero last week to play around with when I start to get out of the "trainer plane" level too.

Have you built and/or flown the Legacy? is it a good plane? Should I go ahead and forget about the single motor and go with the the twin instead?

Thanks for the help!!
I have not built the legacy. But a twin would not have any torque roll, and you'll have more power to get out of incidents.
If this was my choice I would do a twin.

Byrdman

I have not built the legacy. But a twin would not have any torque roll, and you'll have more power to get out of incidents.
If this was my choice I would do a twin.

I have plenty of motors and esc's, so the twin it is! The motors and esc's were from 2 donor quads I built when they first came out. That was before they had high kv quad motors at a reasonable price.

Have a great weekend!!