Legal Question and a question about servos

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTarmstr

Elite member
No worries. I'm just thinking you'll be flying along level, and then touch off a rocket with tons of thrust, and all of a sudden it's out of sight, going on a climb, going horizontally, or going into pieces into the ground. :)

I was thinking of a F or G motor with a lower thrust curve that sustains itself a bit longer sort of like what @FAI-F1D uses, just light the motor go to space and then come back. I think FPV would be necessary though.

I dont want to take this thread off topic though so if i pursue this further i will start a thread for it,

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The whole isdue with rockets are they are not steerable. Even in the real world on full scale rockets are get close n hope they hit.

The addition of fins make them more accurate but its still a crap shoot it will go where you want them to.

JTarmstr

Elite member
The whole isdue with rockets are they are not steerable. Even in the real world on full scale rockets are get close n hope they hit.

The addition of fins make them more accurate but its still a crap shoot it will go where you want them to.

As an amateur rocket scientist: REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE- just kidding.

However I think that is a rather inaccurate statement, every missile ever made, SpacesX and BPS.space disagree. The problem with rockets is they are hard to steer manually, with a flight computer and/or even just a transmitter and a fair amount of expo however, you can steer a rocket. Rockets do stability different then airplanes though, they have a whole different place they want the cg and you have to calculate a center of pressure too, theres no eyeballing it. I dunno, maybe I will try this later on.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
Rockets can be very precise. I watched SpaceX launch and land one yesterday.

Trouble is, it is rocket science and a whole heap harder to control over time than what we fly. Most folks can control a small Estes rocket for <> 5 seconds. Controlling a hypersonic rocket for 5 minutes is REALLY FREAKING HARD. Directional changes are measured in mils and a very slight deviation caused by poor controls or an unbalanced load is devastating.

I think the short answer to OPs question is this.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Laws aren't magic. Just because you break one doesn't mean you will pay and just because something is legal doesn't mean you won't.

I like to consider risk versus reward. Reward is that it would be very cool and fun to watch. I rate fun a 2. Risks however are high and include fire damage to people or property. I rate that a 9. 9 > 2 so I probably wouldn't. :)

I find that if I have to ask, it's probably a bad idea anyway. YMMV. :)

Fyathyrio

Fyathyrio, just because you see it on Flite Test or a YouTube channel doesn't mean it's legal. There are guys all the time that post up their videos of 2.5 mile drone flights, or flights over national parks and restricted airspace . . .
I never said it was legal because I saw it on YouTube, I said without his location we cannot determine legality. If it is determined to be legal in his location, then be safe and have fun. YouTube has many examples of people who have done similar activities without injury or property damage, and is a source for his planning & research if he decides to do this.

Fyathyrio

First of all . . . lots of ranty stuff boo-hoo . . .

Blue skies and happy flying.

I did not call you names, I merely pointed out that your answer did not answer his question, and your personal attacks on the OP for a simple question were unwarranted and did not further the conversation. Your reply with further name calling and off topic personal attacks is not productive or helpful in the least. You have a banner under your name purporting you to be some sort of mentor, name calling and personal attacks seem to fall outside the boundaries of what would be expected by someone annoited as such.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I did not call you names, I merely pointed out that your answer did not answer his question, and your personal attacks on the OP for a simple question were unwarranted and did not further the conversation. Your reply with further name calling and off topic personal attacks is not productive or helpful in the least. You have a banner under your name purporting you to be some sort of mentor, name calling and personal attacks seem to fall outside the boundaries of what would be expected by someone annoited as such.

As was mentioned before, if you have an issue, take it up with that person privately or report it to a mod. I think we need to take Elsa's words to mind and "Let It Go" at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.