legos

bkwflash

So IM starting a scratch build of a multi rotor with Legos. Would def love to see what you guys could come up with.my kids love legos and I love rc, so I decided to combine the two. Coolest part is you can always change the theme. So they will have a real flying Lego ship that I will pilot for them. I can't wait!!!!!! IMG_20131012_234927.jpg

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
the only way it will stay together is to glue everything together. the vibration from the motors will shake it apart in seconds

tramsgar

the only way it will stay together is to glue everything together.

You don't glue legos, that'll make the Lego gods angry and flocks of Chimas will strike down on you for your blatant herecy. The only acceptable way to reinforce legos is with more legos. As for vibrations, there's always balancing!

Now show us those bricks flying and post it here, the kids are eagerly waiting.

JasonEricAnderson

I think a few well placed zip ties could be used to bind the Legos together for strength without resorting to glue. Also Legos have nice stick like axel pieces that could be used.

RoyBro

Mentor
You should hold your frame about two meters from the ground and drop it to see how it will take a hard landing. Now imagine having the ends weighted with motors. Angering the Lego Gods by gluing the pieces together is the only solution that might stand up to the stresses. Even then, a crash from 3 to 5 meters up will probably doom the frame.

tramsgar

Nah just use technics legos, much better structural integrity and properly built it won't break unless the pieces themselves break. I have a two person test crew at home who through thorough endless crashes can testify to that conclusion.

And oh btw bkwflash, I guess that swastika on your model is there to please the Sun God for good luck? =)

bkwflash

Nah just use technics legos, much better structural integrity and properly built it won't break unless the pieces themselves break. I have a two person test crew at home who through thorough endless crashes can testify to that conclusion.

And oh btw bkwflash, I guess that swastika on your model is there to please the Sun God for good luck? =)
0h crap IM sorry didn't even cross my mind I had made a swastika. Lol good eye. IM going to have to make the lego gods mad because the whole time I was definitely going to glue. I don't see anyway around it.

tramsgar

0h crap IM sorry didn't even cross my mind I had made a swastika. Lol good eye. IM going to have to make the lego gods mad because the whole time I was definitely going to glue. I don't see anyway around it.

The clever thing is with legos is that the bricks break apart before they break themselves. So with glue, my guess is that you'll mostly just damage the bricks anyways. Never mind the gods, but if legos is the requirement, why not technics legos? It's tough and light, no glue required (maybe the occational zip tie).