Solved [Lemon Plane] Eflight P-51D 1.2mm Mustang w/ DX6E transmitter - SAFE not working

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
holy crap, i havent done any trouble shooting yet, but when I do i'll make sure to use the receiver I got with my transmitter as a last resort.
If you've got a spare receiver that came with your transmitter I'd plug that sucker in first and foremost and see what happens. I was getting jittery control on my elevator and nothing on the throttle not even any beeps at start up. I went at it as a faulty esc/motor and a bad servo and wasted some time trying out other components. Your DX6e should have come with and AR620 already bound and ready to be put in something with all the bells and whistles already set up for you. That's the best diagnostic tool you have to get started.

SauSAliens

If you've got a spare receiver that came with your transmitter I'd plug that sucker in first and foremost and see what happens. I was getting jittery control on my elevator and nothing on the throttle not even any beeps at start up. I went at it as a faulty esc/motor and a bad servo and wasted some time trying out other components. Your DX6e should have come with and AR620 already bound and ready to be put in something with all the bells and whistles already set up for you. That's the best diagnostic tool you have to get started.
thanks for your input, also love the profile picture. Sadly I'm going to be helping family members on a ranch with well, ranch work. I came here assuming shit was going to go right but instead shit went left. I'll post back when I can get things started.

SauSAliens

For future reference, can someone please give me the best settings for my dx6e? The E Flight P51D manual does not come with any settings for the dx6e. Do I use the dx6i settings in the manual or just the dx6 settings?

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
holy crap, i havent done any trouble shooting yet, but when I do i'll make sure to use the receiver I got with my transmitter as a last resort.
You should put in that receiver, bind everything and test it, and if it works, then the receiver is the problem. Or maybe that’s what you meant...

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
For future reference, can someone please give me the best settings for my dx6e? The E Flight P51D manual does not come with any settings for the dx6e. Do I use the dx6i settings in the manual or just the dx6 settings?
Which settings, like rates and expo? Or the other setup stuff? I would use the dx6 setup since the dx6i is older and probably not as closely related.

SauSAliens

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 1

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Don’t worry, we all make mistakes like this. At least you got it all working right? Good luck on your maiden! Also, I don’t think that I welcomed you to the forums yet, so welcome!

SauSAliens

Don’t worry, we all make mistakes like this. At least you got it all working right? Good luck on your maiden! Also, I don’t think that I welcomed you to the forums yet, so welcome!
Thanks pal, I cannot wait to fly this bird. I'm going to be taking it easy and fly with safe enabled to get a good feel of it. Thank you guys for the help.

SauSAliens

Oh boy here's another problem. The SAFE feature is not working. I understand that 1st. You need to bind using the safe enabled method; plug in bind pin, plug in battery, take out bind pin, then bind your DX series transmitter with your desired safe enabled (and compatible) ESC. Then bind the safe feature to a switch. Thing is I've tried my landing gear multiple times as the designated safe enable/disable and I cannot seem to get it to work. The way to do this is hold both control sticks at the bottom and pointing inward, then cycle a switch with only on and off functions 5 times. What is supposed to happen is the plane cycles through the controls (or jitters for a little bit) and that lets you know you've enabled the safe feature to that switch. I cant seem to get it to work.

Last edited:

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Oh boy here's another problem. The SAFE feature is not working. I understand that 1st. You need to bind using the safe enabled method; plug in bind pin, plug in battery, take out bind pin, then bind your DX series transmitter with your desired safe enabled (and compatible) ESC. Then bind the safe feature to a switch. Thing is I've tried my landing gear multiple times as the designated safe enable/disable and I cannot seem to get it to work. The way to do this is hold both control sticks at the bottom and pointing inward, then cycle a switch with only on and off functions 5 times. What is supposed to happen is the plane cycles through the controls (or jitters for a little bit) and that lets you know you've enabled the safe feature to that switch. I cant seem to get it to work.
Try doing it again with a 3 position switch and see if it works. Also, when you say you tried to use your landing gear switch, do you mean that you tried to put safe and retracts on the same switch?

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Try doing it again with a 3 position switch and see if it works. Also, when you say you tried to use your landing gear switch, do you mean that you tried to put safe and retracts on the same switch?
I didn't catch the landing gear switch part. I asked about the receiver because in 2 pages of posts I don't see where that's been specified. He may have a version of the plane without the AS3X tech or one that a hobby shop assembled and use something else that's DSMX/DSM2 compatible but doesn't support the telemetry and SAFE features.

SauSAliens

I didn't catch the landing gear switch part. I asked about the receiver because in 2 pages of posts I don't see where that's been specified. He may have a version of the plane without the AS3X tech or one that a hobby shop assembled and use something else that's DSMX/DSM2 compatible but doesn't support the telemetry and SAFE features.
I'm using the AR636A

Indy durtdigger

Elite member
Fingers crossed for ya. I'm not ready to give up on an 80 dollar receiver yet so I do believe I will order the usb adaptor for mine and see if a software update or some settings that can only be accessed via the programming software is my issue. The plane that it came in was a second hand but never flown deal. I'm probably dealing with something the original owner did.

SauSAliens

Good news and bad news. Good news is this plane is good. Bad news is the transmitter doesn't have enough channels. I'm going to return the transmitter and get me a dx7 or dx8. I could opt in for a Y connector solution and fly that way but I'm more keen on getting a transmitter that will suit my future buys as well. Thank you all for the help. Long story short; make sure you put in your servo connectors correctly and get a transmitter with enough channels for what you want.