Lemon rx reciever stops responding entirely?

Flyerminer

Hey guys! I've been building a quadcopter using the Electrohub frame and the electronics package from RTF quads. I followed the build video step for step and I got everything together yesterday, and did a test on the quad (which worked, yay!)

The next day, I was flying outside my house in a pretty open area, and I pulled back on it to bring it back towards me, but It must have been in some form of acrobatic mode and ended up flipping over. I pulled up in order to save it, which worked, but it bounce-skidded on the street, breaking off 3 of the four delrin landing feet. I thought this is okay, I'll just tell it to land and that'll be it for the day. I brought the throttle all the way down to zero. the quad didn't respond. I tried directions, cut throttle button, still didn't respond. at this point the quad was spinning out of control, battery loose, and still ascending, fast.

After having no response to the transmitter, I turned the transmitter off in hopes that a failsafe would kick in on the Flip 1.5 control board and fall to the ground. Still no response. it was flying entirely on its own, and it eventually flew too high out sight. No Idea where it is now. I was worried it may land on someone. Luckily there are a lot of trees in my area, besides in the area I was flying, so it is likely to have landed in some trees. I've posted signs in my neighborhood and several other places within a quarter mile radius in case someone finds it.

I now have no quadcopter, unfortunately (poof! 200 dollars gone :'( oh well ). but I would like to know for future reference, WHAT HAPPENED?! :confused:
I'm sure a component must have been damaged, and I'm assuming it had to be the receiver, but why would it still keep ascending? it was a Lemon 6-channel reciever.

If anyone has any idea what happened, please post!

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Hello Flyerminer!

Sorry for your loss :( losing a model is way worse than crashing...I hope you recover it. In an effort to figure out what happened did you go through the setup for failsafe on your lemon receiver before you flew it? The failsafe setup is as follows...

1. Plug bind plug to the receiver.
  2. Power on the receiver
  3. Put Tx sticks in failsafe position and push the side pushbutton.
  4. A green light will turn on at the bottom of the receiver indicating the Failsafe is successfully enabled.
  5. Remove bind plug to complete the process.

If you did not do this procedure it will usually just keep the last position...at least that is what my little PPM lemon receiver did...(ask me how I know:( )

Flyerminer

Hello Flyerminer!

Sorry for your loss :( losing a model is way worse than crashing...I hope you recover it. In an effort to figure out what happened did you go through the setup for failsafe on your lemon receiver before you flew it? The failsafe setup is as follows...

1. Plug bind plug to the receiver.
  2. Power on the receiver
  3. Put Tx sticks in failsafe position and push the side pushbutton.
  4. A green light will turn on at the bottom of the receiver indicating the Failsafe is successfully enabled.
  5. Remove bind plug to complete the process.

If you did not do this procedure it will usually just keep the last position...at least that is what my little PPM lemon receiver did...(ask me how I know:( )

Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I was unaware that the failsafe had to be enabled in such a fashion, so regrettably I cannot say that I did that. You would think something like that would be enabled by default. Thank you for the clarification. I assumed the receiver must have been damaged in some way, causing it to go haywire.

And since you asked so nicely, how did you know? and also, did you lose your model too? did you get it back? :confused:

EDIT: I looked up the manual for the Lemon receivers. I used a lemon 6-channel with end pins, which doesn't have a pushbutton anywhere on it. The failsafe for that receiver should have been to go to the throttle position at startup, which was all the way down. this should have made the quad drop like a stone. Did the failsafe fail?

Last edited:

razor02097

Rogue Drone Pilot
Thank you so much for the quick reply.

I was unaware that the failsafe had to be enabled in such a fashion, so regrettably I cannot say that I did that. You would think something like that would be enabled by default. Thank you for the clarification. I assumed the receiver must have been damaged in some way, causing it to go haywire.

And since you asked so nicely, how did you know? and also, did you lose your model too? did you get it back? :confused:

EDIT: I looked up the manual for the Lemon receivers. I used a lemon 6-channel with end pins, which doesn't have a pushbutton anywhere on it. The failsafe for that receiver should have been to go to the throttle position at startup, which was all the way down. this should have made the quad drop like a stone. Did the failsafe fail?

Hmm the only lemon rx I'm aware of that doesn't have a button is the park flyer receiver I'm not really sure it has an actual failsafe. Although I do not have personal experience with that specific model.

As for the story...
I was flying a small rclogger quad with the PPM lemon Rx in a field. I think the previous owner tried to repair the antenna on the receiver at one time as there was hot glue on it. I should have known better but decided to fly anyway...I got pretty far away and went to turn back but no response. It kept straight and flew right in a tree nice and high up. I turned the radio off and hauled ass over there. When I ran over the red light was flashing indicating the motors were still running when it hit the tree... Later I found the manual for the receiver... That's when I realized the failsafe was never set...no green light. A lot of lessons learned that day for me.