Let Josh S. Fly It!

earthsciteach

Josh Scott may not be as experienced as Josh B., Chad or David, but I'd really like to see him fly more airplanes. I often have people ask me what they should buy as a beginner airplane. I refer them to the HZ Super Cub or the Bixler (Sky Surfer). Despite that, they often buy warbirds and other inappropriate airplanes as their first. This leads to a very frustrating experience for them. (I warned them!)

If Josh S is truly the beginner he is made out to be, put more of these airplanes in his hands! Josh B. and David are talented, experienced flyers so they make it look easy to those starting out. Kudos to them for having that experience, but it may be a reality check for some people to see how difficult higher performing airplanes can be in the hands of a pilot with less experience.

So I say, LET JOSH SCOTT FLY IT! Of course, he will gain experience really fast and won't be that less experienced pilot for long. I believe in you, Josh Scott... I believe in you.:cool:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Great idea!

Let Josh S. fly planes that are beyond his skill set!

I think an episode where Josh was on a buddy box with a series of different level of difficulty planes, and track his "success" for each.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I agree, you got a good point. All stores that sell those planes Make it look easy for beginners to fly planes like warbirds, acrobatic, 3D, etc... but beginners should know it's hard!

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Good points all. I think that there may also be enough footage for a montage showing some of Josh Scott's fail moments, and then roll into some of his successes and show how practice and proper tutoring will improve your skills. Make it a good video not to trash on Josh Scott but to show how improvement takes practice and how instruction and mentoring can be beneficial. Josh has stated on film and in the forums that he doesn't get time to practice flying, but that also works well for the series. If he flew as much as many of us do in the year or so that they've been producing videos for us he wouldn't be the good example for beginners that he has been. I for one enjoy seeing his progress. Would like to see him flying more.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Ok, then how about this. Imagine an episode where they went to a local park. They took a variety of planes, and let strangers buddy-box fly. Then they could show which ones were more beginner friendly, and what it looks like when someone tries flying one beyond their skill level.

Klonas

That would be a good episode and it would show just how hard it is to fly RC. If only everyone who asked "Can I fly your plane" would now....

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Ok, then how about this. Imagine an episode where they went to a local park. They took a variety of planes, and let strangers buddy-box fly. Then they could show which ones were more beginner friendly, and what it looks like when someone tries flying one beyond their skill level.

That's not a bad idea. Take a HZ cub, a Bixler, a T-28, a funbat and flying wing perhaps. Cover the spektrum of electrics anyway. Or take the most commonly discussed beginner planes anyway. This would give people a good visual idea of where to start and why.

Would also be a good chance to see how quick Bixler's reflexes really are lol. I have not been fast enough on two occasions to take over before someone piled my cub into the ground and my hawk once. :p

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
I love that idea!!! Crashing doesn´t mean your bad at flying. In fact you gain more experiences for crashing then just landing fine!
I am fully up for that! We should probably do a vote/pull, whether he can fly certain planes (ones that are beyond his skill level and he has never flown before) or not and then make a video showing if he really can fly them or not.

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
Yeah, something like one of the easier warbirds or the Icon. The way it looks and how it tracks it seems that the Icon is a nice intermediate one. I would have generously let him fly it!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
I'm really surprised that Little Josh didn't get a chance to fly the Icon. He flew the big Mustang gasser, right?
Maybe not take it off or land it but I'm sure that plane is within his skill level.
I suspect (and hope) that we will see him flying more and hopefully a few maidens in the upcoming year.

Windytech

Let him fly, let him crash - makes him and all of us better as pilots. I wish I would have heeded the warnings when I first started...I started out with a Mini Super Cub and decided after about 8 flights of that it was boring. SOOOOOOO I got a PZ Extra 300. I flew it fine the first time, broke the gear the second time (can be expected - even with a good landing - the gear is crap), and totaled it the third time. This is ALL BEFORE I TOUCHED A SIMULATOR.

Then, I got a sim and worked on it tons....I then bought a PZ P-51 and I still have it today. Practiced on the sim some more for about a year, along with flying the P-51, and then got a large scale Pitts that I fly today.

Along the way, I also did some helis - namely, a Blade SR that I crashed and burned, as well as a couple McXs and a Blade 120SR that I still have today. I'm decent with them but scared to get anything as big as an SR again or eve move up to a Blade 400 just yet, although I want to.

I just wish I would have not been so cocky about it and even THOUGHT to look at YouTube vids of people like Josh S. flying so that I knew there was a learning curve. I just figured it was simple....and it ended up costing me a lot of money. Truthfully, I think Josh S. should fly EVRY plane in EVERY episode at least once to let the beginners know what they are getting into. It would be VERY helpful for everyone. And, honestly, no offense to Josh S - I mean this in the best way - if you haven't spent enough time in a sim yet to be able to fly some of these dead simple plane you review, you should do some more work! Good luck buddy ;-)

Jeffrey Saelee

Airplane Dope

Now THAT would be a great episode!

Windytech

Josh S. did a great job flying the T-28 with the retracts in the latest episode! Of course, the landing looked just a tiny bit panicked because he thought he was going to land in the grass (which would have probably been fine anyways), but he got it down and in one solid piece - hardly so much as a nick on it.

My question or thought here is - If Josh S. spent just a little more time on a simulator (let's say about 1-2 hours a week for 3-4 weeks), landings like this wouldn't be too much of a problem. I just wonder if he does it in his off time at all, or if Flitetest is keeping him "noobish" so that the audience can see both sides of the story.

Either way, I don't care - I'm happy with the way things are....I'm just curious is all.

John Campbell

That would be great. I remember an event that our club had for the public that we had 3 trainers and instructors that allowed anyone that desired to fly. This really worked out great. Have actually seen people go for the hobby and get into the RC Field. There is nothing more that you could ask for public participation. I would really like to see that episode.

Fishbonez

How about this,
Have a show dedicated to the beginner and have Josh S review beginner airplanes and let Josh B take a back seat and be the mentor or trainer. We know Josh S has improved and that would make it an excellant show in my view. He is just good enough to accuratly review the plane. Just my .02 cents. CHAD YOU HAVE ENOUGH INFO FOR THE MAKINGS OF A GREAT EPISODE HERE. ARE YA LISTENING? :D

earthsciteach

I'd love to see that. Pure feedback from a reasonably competent, but new flier!

Then, hand Josh B a guitar and put him on stage! :cool:

John Campbell

How about this,
Have a show dedicated to the beginner and have Josh S review beginner airplanes and let Josh B take a back seat and be the mentor or trainer. We know Josh S has improved and that would make it an excellant show in my view. He is just good enough to accuratly review the plane. Just my .02 cents. CHAD YOU HAVE ENOUGH INFO FOR THE MAKINGS OF A GREAT EPISODE HERE. ARE YA LISTENING? :D

I second that. Could not have said it better. He could be an inspiration to a lot of new comers who are only thinking about the hobby.