Let's design the worlds best looking twin engine civil aircraft!

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
I really love the look of twin engine aircraft. Things like the Beechcraft Baron or the Piper Seneca Just look beautiful:
Beechcraft Baron:
baron-exterior.jpg

Piper Seneca:
2012_seneca_klein.jpg

But I wanted to make them faster, sportier, more warbird-like but still modern and comfortable. It should look like the sportscar of the sky, and what better way to reach this than to mash up the Messerschmitt Me 262 with my favorite sportscar, the Porsche 911?
porsche-911-gt3-m-02.jpg

And that was the result:
IMAG0268.jpg

I also made a simple planes model of it:
Screenshot_20180817-225701.png

Screenshot_20180817-225724.png

Screenshot_20181015-213804.png

Screenshot_20181015-213837.png

And then theres this extreamely awesome Jet version:
Screenshot_20180817-202900.png

Screenshot_20180817-202912.png

How do you like the design? What can I do to improve it? And do you know any civil twin engine that looks better than this?

Michael9865

Elite member
I like your design. I would suggest moving the sides of the cabin bubble sides to be even with the fuselage sides. That would also make it easier to build and attach. I like the motors being slung under the wing, but would they survive better mounted above like your examples or even almost like a Shrike Commander? (If you wanted to make it a belly landing model.)
CECA0C73-8DE8-49B6-A6B5-350E7F5ABE20.jpeg

4BC7CDBF-C85D-463E-A854-3892734BF834.jpeg

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
So far most of the design ideas touted are rehashes of designs from the last century! With modern materials and power plants surely a better design is possible!

Something with a retractable canard, swept wing, pusher, with a retractable undercarriage would be nice along with a fully blended wing/fuselage and perhaps a fuselage which harks back to the "Lift body" research of the 60's. Retractable canard connected to landing gear to maintain balance when landing gear deployed otherwise fully retracted!

For enhanced performance a small amount of thrust vectoring from a single fuselage mounted prop driven by 2 geared fuselage mounted motors, (turboprop if full sized - as in modern helicopter).

Just a few thoughts!

have fun!

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
csm_Diamond_DA_42_ext_3357891fb6.png
diamond-4.jpg

The Beech Baron is great, and the Piper birds are pretty fantastic, but nothing will ever compare to the Diamond twins. One of the most beautiful modern airplanes. Cirrus wishes they could make airplanes that look this good. Or this efficient. Or that can recover from a spin. Or don't require a BRS for an airworthiness certificate. Or has a proper stick. Or has retractable gear. Or...

Joking over, but the Diamonds are amazing.

rmikebaker

I'm working on a 3D-printable DA42. Not super-scale, but definitely close enough. I'm creating it with Fusion 360, which I'm learning as I go. I'm used to packages like Blender and 3D Studio, so it's going a little slow right now as I learn my way around Fusion. Will maybe post some pics soon.

Casey

csm_Diamond_DA_42_ext_3357891fb6.png
diamond-4.jpg

The Beech Baron is great, and the Piper birds are pretty fantastic, but nothing will ever compare to the Diamond twins. One of the most beautiful modern airplanes. Cirrus wishes they could make airplanes that look this good. Or this efficient. Or that can recover from a spin. Or don't require a BRS for an airworthiness certificate. Or has a proper stick. Or has retractable gear. Or...

Joking over, but the Diamonds are amazing.

Hmm, I think that's not an airplane, bud... that's a large, metallic bird with much patience for stowaways.

ShrimpRex

I really love the design you drew and I would totally buy it if it were real (and I were a millionaire). Could you upload the plane to simpleplanes.com so we could take a closer look at it?

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Sorry for waiting so long, I Just dont find time for big projects these days. But this thing will happen this winter! After a flying car monstrosity, this is the next point on my project list.
Everyone who wants to download it for simple planes can do this here:
http://www.simpleplanes.com/a/EeIE8Z/Twin-2-v4
Use the VTOL lever to retact the nose gear.
Grumman Goose is cool too, this may happen next year...

Dr. Looping Looie

Elite member
Update:
Im done with my too many projects, which means that this is the next on my list!
Ive bought tricicle retracts, and these come in at 200 gramms. They cost Just 30$ and come with wheels and suspension.
IMAG0026.jpg

And I started drawing the plans. This is the first project where Im going to draw the plans before building the plane. It will have either 1.20 Meter or 1.40 Meter wingspan, depending on how much foam its going to use.

IMAG0027.jpg

Last edited: