Let's Fly! - Blunt Nose Versa

Okay, So I want to make my Blunt Nose Versa Swappable. Should I mount the power pod on top of the wing, like cut a groove out for it, or should I just mount it underneath?

That's what I was planning on doing, but didn't know if it would mess with the flying characteristics because in their review, FliteTest used the simple motor mount and it was mounted on top, so I though maybe the Thrust placement/angle would be screwed up.

That's what I was planning on doing, but didn't know if it would mess with the flying characteristics because in their review, FliteTest used the simple motor mount and it was mounted on top, so I though maybe the Thrust placement/angle would be screwed up.

You could always do a push pull. Its on my list of things to do with the versa. I want to do two blue wonders in a centerline thust configuration. One on the power pod and one on the rear.

WP_20140613_002.jpg WP_20140613_004.jpg
Blunt Nose Versa 2.0
Back with more lights, more power, and stronger then ever.

Still building the center blunt nose part, I have been testing the idea for a spar less nose and just using a fiberglass bracing.

A quick picture of my blunt nose. Center section is on 7" instead of 8". Otherwise quite similar. Vertical sabs are my own design, and added stability notches (made that name up) to the wing tips. Will be used as a paintball target this weekend for the scouts. We will see if it survives.

IMG_20140617_121513411_HDR.jpg

Today my Blunt Nose 2 flew today, Flew great. I didnt glass the leading edge like I wanted to do just because my foam cutting skills are not the best. I figured I would build a 3rd when I crash this one (hey whats wrong with planning ahead). I made some modifications in the building process that you wont see in the photo, the spare is taller on the tip making for a fatter tip and less taper. This had made the wing fly different. Even though I am flying a HUGE Motor on it, it still flys relatively slow. I am assuming this is because of the greater induced drag which means that there is a question to be answered. The blunt nose versa may be flying in an area of the lift profile that gives it an aerodynamic speed limit. Even in nose down dive, the airplane almost refused to go much faster then it was in level flight.

I would be interested in trying to run the numbers on a stock blunt to see if there maybe an aerodynamic limit on how fast it can go.
WP_20140625_001.jpg

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Heck I even had mine out on Sunday.
The first time since last winter!

Have to say I did enjoy getting it flying again.

I have to order some metal gear servos before I resume hard flying ;)

Only error and I'm glad I did not have the go pro installed, (used some wrenches to take up the ballast since no gopro or fpv gear was loaded) I had my controls inverted after borrowing the receiver... Slammed the poor into the ground on launch. Oops.

SteevyT

Does anyone have a measurement for the CG from the leading edge of the Blunt Nose? I accidentally taped over my marks and can't find them. Oops.

SteevyT

CG is 6 3/8" inches back from the LE, I am building mine atm, so I have the template handy. ;)

Thanks. And measuring that back, guess what I found? The marks....I guess I transferred them through the tape as small pinholes. (My wing recently got a nice tape lamination layer)

johanjonker

I don't know what I did wrong n mine, but I have 2x 3000mah battery in the nose, and mine is still tail heavy.. added atlease the weight of one more battery as lead weights, right in the nose.

impossible to launch by myself, but flies great

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Before I killed mine in the wind. (Released and it dove into a park bench) I had to add 2 wrenches to take up the weight of the GoPro and FPV gear.

If I rebuild one I'll move the motor forward.

Navydiver71

Im starting a Blunt Nose build as soon as I get parts in the mail from Altitude Hobbies (motor ESC etc…) which should be here this week.
However, I am seriously thinking about doing a 40mm twin EDF version of the Horton HO229 as a second build… I'll probably fail miserably, but its been driving me mad to try it.
Thoughts, jeers, cries of insanity, or the occasionally helpful hint would all be appreciated.