Let's Fly! - Blunt Nose Versa

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I would agree that's it's not an ideal plane for a beginner to RC flight, but it's a great build for a beginner to RC scratch building! I'm not sure if that's what they meant, but it's so easy to put together... I think it might even be easier than the FT22 I built as my first FliteTest build. It's at least easier to cut all the bits out of DTFB sheets. Yeah, in terms of flying, the versa is harder because it requires more space to fly (more than the FT-22 in my experience) due to it's long glide slope and lack of yaw control. It's more sensitive to the wind, as you said, due to this great glide ability and lack of yaw control. I would also agree that launches can be trickier, especially with a frisbee/flying disc type launch where you need to make sure not to over-rotate, but I actually found both my pusher configured old Versa Wing and Blunt Nose Versa Wing to launch pretty easily with an overhead launch.

It's a great next step for those going from 3-Ch (Rudder, Elevator) to 4-Ch (Aileron) flight. I might say the FT-22 is better, but it's a great yank-n-bank platform, and I can't be happier with it as my FPV platform. It can carry a ton of payload, has a super long flight time -- if I bring the two charged batteries I have for the Versa (2200mAh and 3600mAh 3C's) with me, I have to plan to fly for about an hour or more... That's a lot of time. Last week, I flew my 3600mAh pack down to storage voltage by flying 3-4 flights of about 6-7 minutes. The flight pack was powering the flight and FPV electronics (5.8GHz ImmersonRC 600mW VTX & board camera). I only broke it up in chunks like that because people were walking up to talk and ask questions. So, I would let them look at the ground station monitor, and land to show them the plane and its setup. Then, re-launch when they walked away. I haven't flown a full pack without getting interrupted yet... but I suspect I'd have about a 30-45 minute flight at half throttle with each pack... that that would leave me just slightly below storage voltage.

Just started building a blunt nose Versa for night flying. I saw the night kraken at SEFF 2014 and knew I had to do something like it. Then I stumbled on FT trying to find out what it was. I think I went a little over board on the power, its a grayson jet v2 but we will see when it gets going. Thinking about it now it would have been smarter to get something that would have given me a longer flight time, but I had it on hand.

Now just waiting on my 2 meters of LEDs and glow in the dark props from Hobby king.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Welcome to the FT forums flyingdreamz! That's great that you saw the Kraken at SEFF and decided to build a versa wing! I'm loving mine. The FliteTest guys released a video when the Versa (original) was just coming out doing a speed test, but I think that 2000KV (assuming 3S/11V?) motor of your will blow their speed test away!

http://flitetest.com/articles/viewer-request-speed-challenge

Last edited:
Welcome to the FT forums flyingdreamz! That's great that you saw the Kraken at SEFF and decided to build a versa wing! I'm loving mine. The FliteTest guys released a video when the Versa (original) was just coming out doing a speed test, but I think that 2000KV (assuming 3S/11V?) motor of your will blow their speed test away!

http://flitetest.com/articles/viewer-request-speed-challenge

Thanks for the welcome.

Its a 2200KV with a 6X4 APC prop, I just had it laying around from another project that didn't get off the ground.

Willyspu

I love my Versa Blunt, my only regret is that I did not build it to last. After about 20 flights (and a few crashes) it became pretty soft and flexible. I would advise doing whatever possible to strengthen the material as you build it.

At the cost of added weight, I would have removed all of the paper and coated the foam with something that would stiffen it up (Poly coat?) as well as covered all surfaces with extreme tape. I would also install a CF spar next to the foam spar.

The shape of this wing flew great for me and was pretty fast with a 2826 2000kv. My mistake was too use a 7x5 prop which over heated the motor and caused it to fail. See my previous posts for video.

Anyway, build it strong, you will like this wing.

apurchase

I know I'm a little late to the game on the modified Versa wing party but I thot some people would appreciate this.

I "freestyled" this build for more space for the battery, I hated how my Turnigy 2200 were thicker than the wing, plus I found the first build was tail heavy, this allows me to get the battery farther forward.

IMG_1678.jpeg

Winglet

I see a lot of beginners jumping on the Versa...but don't really remember FT ever promoting it as a beginner plane, so I'm not sure where the impression that it's a beginner plane came from. Maybe because it "looks simple" people are jumping to conclusions?

It's a good beginner wing - but that's a far cry from a beginner plane.

Oh no. Not a beginner airplane at all! I love mine but have been flying for 40 years.

Willyspu

I know I'm a little late to the game on the modified Versa wing party but I thot some people would appreciate this.

I "freestyled" this build for more space for the battery, I hated how my Turnigy 2200 were thicker than the wing, plus I found the first build was tail heavy, this allows me to get the battery farther forward.

View attachment 24154
Nice job, I would love to see the finished build. Are you planning on adding FPV gear?

Tactical Ex

View attachment 24154

Nice, it should fly just like mine, Don't let the extra front space fool you thought the CG is still fairly far back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHZrOqcpCCI&list=PLoe9kHxPfvZokpgqr7hr6t0Lq8qZz7HAn&index=1

Wyvern.jpg

apurchase

Nice job, I would love to see the finished build. Are you planning on adding FPV gear?

I want to but I was hoping to get my HKPilot 2.5 working first, to have that bit of extra stability and security. For now it'll just be LoS, lots of fun tho! I should try to get some video of it.

Maidened my Blunt Nose Versa today. A total of 5 flights by the end of the day.

Specs-
- 2200mAH 3s 20C
- 30 amp ESC turnigy
- 2200kv Grayson Hobby Microjet v3
- 6x4 APC prop
- 2 meters of RGB LEDs with controller

I love the versa, mine is a bit heavy because of the LEDs but it turned out so nice. At night, its a blast, no video yet but its coming.

Edit- 2 more flights at night, the police came, then proceed to watch.

Specs-
- 2200mAH 3s 20C
- 30 amp ESC turnigy
- 2200kv Grayson Hobby Microjet v3
- 6x4 APC prop
- 2 meters of RGB LEDs with controller

I love the versa, mine is a bit heavy because of the LEDs but it turned out so nice. At night, its a blast, no video yet but its coming.
10441136_10202313540022934_7332004444599355752_n.jpg

Last edited:

BankNYank!

Mentor
Here's a couple pictures of my Blunt Nose Versa. I'm running a pair of Suppo 2212/10's with 7x5 props (not the 8's on it in the picture) and differential thrust. The esc's are 30 amp Turnigy AE-30A's and I usually run a pair of 3s 2200's into the harness. For longer flights I have a pair of 3s 2650's.

101_0237_zps212bdd71.jpg

101_0235_zps76afb346.jpg

MT Alex

Edit- 2 more flights at night, the police came, then proceed to watch.

Very clean looking build. What do you use for nose weight, other than the LEDs? Aside from my 3S 2200 and Mobius I had to add 5.7 oz of weight taped to the bottom.

Here's a couple pictures of my Blunt Nose Versa. I'm running a pair of Suppo 2212/10's with 7x5 props (not the 8's on it in the picture) and differential thrust. The esc's are 30 amp Turnigy AE-30A's and I usually run a pair of 3s 2200's into the harness. For longer flights I have a pair of 3s 2650's.

Posts like yours are the reason that this forum should incorporate a "Thanks" button.

BankNYank!

Mentor
Posts like yours are the reason that this forum should incorporate a "Thanks" button.

Thank you for the "Thanks". :p I plan on this plane being my fixed wing fpv platform once I finally take the plunge into fpv. I think it should be able to carry a ton of weight. It fly's with two 3s 2650's with no problem. Just a little wiggle when coming out of an abrupt turn or roll. I think mounting the bulk of the weight along the planes center axis should help alleviate that. It is super stable and fly's well in moderate wind.

Willyspu

What are you using to manage differential thrust?

the wing looks awesome!

BankNYank!

Mentor
What are you using to manage differential thrust?

the wing looks awesome!

Thanks! I'm glad you like it!

I have a dx6i and it won't mix differential thrust to the rudder channel so I plugged in a v-tail mixer with one side to rudder and the other to throttle. If you do this be sure to plug it in correctly and no matter what your doing please take your props off before testing! Otherwise your arm might wind up looking like this. This plane went rabid and bit me! Learn form my mistake. ;)

Very clean looking build. What do you use for nose weight, other than the LEDs? Aside from my 3S 2200 and Mobius I had to add 5.7 oz of weight taped to the bottom.
About 15 quarters. The LEDs do nothing to move the CG forward because mode of them are behind the balance point. I am currently building a new Blunt Nose, mine about a day after my maiden post, I went down in to the trees at 100 MPH at night. She survived it quite well, but the structural integrity is gone.

On my new Blunt Nose build, I am going to glass the leading edge and bottom up to the spare as well as the Wing Spades. I am hoping the weight will help balance it out and make it stronger. I am going to try to do it so it does not ruin the stock look by putting it on the inside. I will also be adding more LEDs to help situation awareness.

Originally I had no interest in flying wings, I wanted my planes to look like regular planes. But after everyone one this forum talking about how much they loved the versa I decided to build on to try. Man am I converted. My Blunt Nose Versa is awesome. It has quickly become my favorite airframe.

Once I got comfortable launching it, it is a blast. Fast, Stable, Turn on a Dime, it can do it all. And it's tough too, my Versa has its share of Fast unplanned landings and it is still going strong. I get flights of about 12-13 minutes on a 3S 2200 mAh. Because it's so good for my confidence, it is always the last plane I fly when I go to the field.

MT Alex

Originally I had no interest in flying wings, I wanted my planes to look like regular planes. But after everyone one this forum talking about how much they loved the versa I decided to build on to try. Man am I converted. My Blunt Nose Versa is awesome. It has quickly become my favorite airframe.

Nice video, and thanks for turning me onto Kevin MacLeod.